HELP, Replacing Kitchen taps - Collet joints.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a new kitchen mixer tap as the old one was broke, but replacing it is not as easy as I thougt. I managed to remove the main holding nut to the taps, but can't remove the tail pipes from there joints. The way I understand it these joints (collet ??), is that I should just be able to pull them out but I cant do this. What do I need to do and will replacing them be easy.

More importantly, ive been unable to turn off the mains to the cold water. The stop cock I found didnt shut it off so Ive only stopped it by turning the screw in the middle of the joint shown below. Im worried this may not be sufficient for when I do manage to remove the pipe from the joint.

I am a complete novice but thought this job would be relatively easy.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
I Have now managed to isolate all the water at the main tap, was just very stiff, so now just need help replacing these joints. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Still desperate for help. Do these joints look re-usable or am I better cutting the pipe below this joint and fitting a new push fit connector and flexable connector?

Sponsored Links
you need to hold the speedfit isolator in one hand and push up. With the other hand push down on the grey coller it should slide flush with coller. then either lift tap up or push up on tail pipes. this should release it.

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciated. Unfortunately theyre stuck solid, the darker grey coller doesnt move up or down even under my full strength, and I cant pull the pipe out. Is there a plan B by any chance or a way of making this easier?

inside the fitting there is a ring of spring like teeth which bite into the pipe a little, this is why it is so tight. . if you have an ajustable spanner, place it arround the pipe above the coller . slide it up and down using in hammer action. dont forget to hold on to isolator valve with other hand.. after a few taps it should move.

Just to say thanks for the replies on this. I eventually gave in and got a pro in. He also struggled removing these joints and had to cut the pipe first. He the replaced the pipe above and fitted a metal joint. A simple job yet proved to be beyond my very limited plumbing ability. Many thanks tho for those who helped. It is appreciated and makes this forum so valuable. Oh and if anyones interested that job was £75 + £5 parts which I was happy with. A little pricy maybe for such a small job, but in being in London could have easily been worse. Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back