Help revarnishing a staircase.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'd really appreciate some help with a staircase that I have. I have new pine flooring in the living room, and wanted a real contrast for my staircase. Currently it is a very 70's orange. I really don't like this colour. I have tried a few different things with colouring wood, I used coloron wood dye in American Walnut to stain shelves, which looked fab at first now seem to be getting lighter in patches exposed to the sun, so I don't like that. I had a bookcase which was varnished and I stripped and used the stain on, but I'm not keen on the colour as it has an orangey hue to it. I then bought a 2nd hand dining set and bought a dark teak floor varnish as I thought this would be more resistant to marking and the colour is a wonderful dark teak. However, in all the help pages, it advises to strip and stain then use a clear varnish. Is there a particular reason for this? Will it be a complete disaster if I use the coloured floor varnish?
Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back