Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a Silavent May 202 fan in my bathroom. It was there when I bought the house 3 years ago. The house was built in 1985. Not sure how long its been in there. Its stopped working when you switch the light on. I know that Silavent have discontinued this model and I cant find a replacement anywhere. In addition I know they have been take over by another company - Polypipe?!
My dad called them to see if the Silavent model 202b would be a direct replacement. They were vague and unsure! This fan is a bit odd, very large, goes up in to the loft. No idea which bit of the fan is broken and has caused it to stop working - how can you tell? - but its glued/stuck in to the wall and so im nervous to take it out without being sure the 202b fits perfectly and will replace it. Also, the 202b is about £160-£190 so not a cheap buy if it doesn't work. If I take it out and it doesn't do the job - im left with a gaping whole in the tiled wall! Maybe I would be better off leaving as is and putting a smaller fan in the ceiling? I'm reluctant to cause massive damage to the bathroom (although it is quite old) as im hoping to put the house on the market in the bathrooms current condition within the next few months. I need a Silavent expert - any out there that can advise!

Sponsored Links
Not a Silavent expert - but Google knows everything.

My dad called them to see if the Silavent model 202b would be a direct replacement. They were vague and unsure!
I think this is the size,
upload_2017-2-7_15-43-1.png

http://www.silavent.co.uk/pdfs/section_03.pdf

No idea which bit of the fan is broken and has caused it to stop working - how can you tell?
Well, tests.
Is it still receiving power?
Is it full of dust and fluff?
Nothing lasts for ever.

Knock out the guts of the old fan and install an in-line fan in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Thank you guys. my fan doesn't look like the photos above o_O
Can you replace a PCB timer in the fan or too much hassle?
Knocking out the guts sounds like a good option.
I'll send this link to my dad and look for a local electrician to help me out with all this. Now I know there are options I can ask the electrician about them.
Thank you very much for your time (y)

The holes in the tile wall will usually be 4" or 6" which is standard to nearly all fans, so its likely any fan will fit.
Whats more important is where the outlet is positioned in the back plate, and that a new one is similar as you want the main body of the new fan to cover any FIXING holes drilled into the tiled wall.
Sometimes theres 4 fixings towards the outer corners

Though im a bit confused, your description sounds like the actual fan is in the loft and only a Grill in the bathroom, possibly with a flexi duct between?

@LILIFAN It sounds like its one of the fans which has an enclosure that is inset to the ceiling?

A picture speaks a thousand words, as they say. Can you can take a photo of it, perhaps one with the cover on and one with the cover off, someone may recognise it.
Measurements would be good too.

Not worth fixing, I am not a fan of these older Silavent centrifugal fans. A centrifugal fan should have angled blades that scoop the air from the middle and send it outwards. Silavent centrifugal blades just seem to stir the air without actually sending it anywhere because there is no angle of attack, just some blades slapping straight into the air, causing a lot of wind noise, accumulating a lot of dust from the flat impact, and not providing a great deal of directed air movement. Get yourself one of the Xpelair Premier range, or perhaps an Envirovent Filterless fan from Ebay. Both companies know a lot more about aerodynamics and both companies make excellent fans with excellent motors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back