Help Sought re. Stains on Painted Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stains are the shape and size of a tennins ball, on the internal surface of one wall in a downstairs room. They appear in a regular pattern every 6 inches horizontally and vertically all over the wall. Beyond this wall is a cavity and then an external wall. The house was built in the 60s, originally had a fire place in the room but no longer. There is no damp in the room.

We put sealer - cannot remember exact make - on the wall before painting it eight years ago. Possibly, the decorator also skimmed it with filler. The wall was fine for 6 years but 2 years ago the stains came back. I am wondering whether to use a sealant such as Lithofin Stainstop this time before painting or perhaps removing the plaster all together and replastering. Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is it a dot and dabbed plasterboard wall by any chance?

Can you get a pic up?

Thanks. No plasterboard, just a brick wall with smooth plaster on it. I will see if I can upload a photo in a couple of days.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back