Help - Tilt and turn sliding patio door has broken bush!

m13

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have a 20 year old PVC double glazed door from Astraseal that now has a new double glazed conservatory on the other side of it. The door slides but also tilts and turns so you can have it open for air (not really used now the conservatory is there).

Although both pensioners my Mum and Dad are foster parents and recently a little girl dropped a plastic knife from a kitchen play set into the runner at the bottom of the door. My Dad didn't spot it and shut the door and one of the plastic bushes that sits under the metal boogie that slides along when you open and close the door snapped off. The door no longer slides.

The door is from Astraseal and my Dad got in touch with them via their website and their local Astraseal person came round. He recently fitted the conservatory and put a new pitched roof on their garage so he's done quite a lot of work for them. However, that didn't stop him telling them that no parts are available or can be found and that they will need to have brand new double glazed doors installed!

The code on the door is 03 H.W.S P.V.C. 2HA6 =9=0=\= ========. There is a plastic PVC channel along the bottom and the door has two metal boogies that slide along, each having two plastic bushes that do the actual sliding. I can't believe that for the sake of a small piece of plastic they are going to have to replace the whole thing.

I'm presuming that because other sliding doors are still in existence that it might be possible to buy a similar part but Astraseal are now Rehau fabricators so I doubt a modern door part from them would fit. Each bush is white plastic and 3cm across and about 1.6cm deep and my parents still have the screw from the broken one.

I've read several great solutions to problems on here so am hopeful that somebody will know what I can do. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the welcome and the information big-all.

I have emailed photographs to the site you recommended and hopefully they'll come back with something. In the meantime my ever resourceful mother has made a temporary bush out of wood so the door isn't skewed in the frame. I'm not surprised as she previously made a two seater sofa out of a three seater by taking the cushions off, cutting out the middle section, fasting it all back together with metal straps and then finally put the cushions back on again!

m13 said:
Thank you for the welcome and the information big-all.

I have emailed photographs to the site you recommended and hopefully they'll come back with something. In the meantime my ever resourceful mother has made a temporary bush out of wood so the door isn't skewed in the frame. I'm not surprised as she previously made a two seater sofa out of a three seater by taking the cushions off, cutting out the middle section, fasting it all back together with metal straps and then finally put the cushions back on again!

woman [person] after my own heart :eek: :eek: :eek:
dont let any thing get the better of you when engenuity and a bit of lateral thinking works wonders

my favorate is to take old wooden beds reduce the sides to 30 inches long fill in with the slats touching ,cushons fitted great bench for the kids bedroom
or no cushons great for the garden :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thank for all the help.

http://www.safensoundltd.com/ came up trumps providing exactly the parts needed. They apparently buy up spares when production is stopped and even though the item I needed wasn't on their website, they had them.

Highly recommended for their customer service too. My dad sent them a cheque, the items arrived two days later recorded delivery and they gave him advice on fitting over the 'phone. 10/10

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back