Help - what is this plaster & do I need to undercoat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just spent the last two days steaming off wallpaper in the ground floor bedroom of my 1890s London Victorian house. Under the layers of wallpaper I found this grey plaster-like or cement like material.

Google is telling me it doesn't look like lime plaster... In some places it has crumbled and cracked though the crumbly bits may have been a layer addition by a previous owner.

Can anyone tell me:
(1) what it is,
(2) whether it needs undercoating (or papering) before painting with Dulux Diamond/Endurance Matte,
(3) if so what with, and finally
(4) what I can fill cracks and holes with before painting starts?

I'm a relative decorating newby, though have repainted many a painted interior wall. But I can't afford to spend a lot getting a pro to decorate this room. I also have a friend moving into it in a week so need to fix very urgently. So any DIY advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan x

Ps. As a bonus round question, I uncovered pink foam under a layer of heavy duty lining paper on the outside wall and on the ceiling. The pink foam is somehow reinforced with plastic or vinyl threads a bit like fishing wire. The last person to strip the wallpaper had gouged it in many places and I managed to tear a few holes myself. Prize offered for (A) identifying the material (B) suggestions on whether to pull it off the wall or paper over before painting again with the Dulux trade matte.

Sponsored Links
1. Its hard to identify plasters sometimes, it looks like sand and cement but you need to do some research and decide for yourself.
2. It is essential to prime/mist coat.
3.Use zinnser gardz if papering and a thinned coat of emulsion if painting
4. The whole thing looks like in needs a plaster skim, but easifill is a popular choice.

Sounds like you've found insulated lining paper, leave it on and line over the top of it.

P.S You don't arf look like me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back