Help wiring bathroom extractor fan

BFC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post so be gentle with me! I'm replacing an old extractor fan. The old fan had a timer built in, the new one doesn't (I just want it on when the light is on).

There are 3 wires to the current fan, Blue (neutral presumably), Red (Live presumably), Yellow (Switched live presumably) and an earth wire that goes nowhere.

The new fan only has locations for 2 wires, Live and Neutral.

Question is, which wire(s) should go to the Live point on the fan? The Yellow (switched live), the Red (Live) or both? Assuming I only need to use one of the current live or switched live wires, what do I do with the 'spare' one?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The switch wire and neutral is all that is needed, and the permanent live should be disconnected at the other end of the cable or put in a connector block, but i'm a bit concerned that your guessing what is permanent live and what is switched live.... to know for sure you should use a multimeter

Thanks, I thought that was probably the solution, will double check which wire is which before doing anything, said presumably because from previous experience it's the most likely combination. Cheers.

Different sparks use different combinations as both Red and Yellow are old phase colours

Sponsored Links
50/50 chance
Fan will run constant OR fan will switch ok,
If wrong just swap.
Remember to ISOLATE

Just checked, no power to either the permanent or switched live! Great, never simple is it! Now got to find out why. Thanks for your help.

On the basis that the old fan worked, 'cos you knew it had a timer, I'm tempted to ask what you've done that could have removed the supply...

Old fan hasn't worked since I moved here. I only know it had a timer because I took the cover off and there's a bit to adjust the timing. May even be that the old fan works, I'll never know until I can find out why there's no power.

Any suggestions where a 'fan isolator' is likely to be?

might be an FCU
can you follow the wire from the fan.
could be above the door outside the room or even in the loft , there seemed to have been a weird thing once with bathrooms , where people were finding them in very strange places ,I found one under the floorboards.

Can't see where the cable goes, it's in a downstairs toilet, only place it could be is in the ceiling, I'm buggered if I'm having the carpet and floorboards up upstairs to check , it'll have to stay not working!

it may be on the side of a socket nearby
there was a recent post where the bloke was advised also to look in a strange place,think it was a regular that said it though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back