Help! Wiring for 2 sets of 2 gang light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

In our hallway we have a 2 gang light switch by the front door that switches the outside light and the two lights in the hall. At the other end of the hall there is another 2 gang light switch that switches the two hall lights and a light in the loft.

My problem is when all of the lights are off, the switch by the front door for the hall lights is in the 'on' position. I was hoping it would have been a simple case of swapping the wire from L1 to L2 (or vice versa) but after looking I'm very confused!

Below is my amateurish attempt at a wiring diagram, I have no idea which wires go to which light but have indicated which switch controls each light.

Can somebody please advise how I should swap the wires so that all 4 switches are in the 'off' position when all the lights are actually off please?

Thanks in advance

2n0o66a.jpg

Sponsored Links
As you have suggested, swap L1 and L2 around on ONE of the hall switches.

(Assuming L1 and L2 are the terminals next to each other, and COM is on it's own at the other end. I mention this as switch terminal markings can vary.)

Cheers sparkwright, works now. I think I just need confirmation before actually doing it!

Feel a bit daft for going to all that trouble of getting the colouring pens out!

Not at all, interesting seeing your wiring, which is done the 'old fashioned way'!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back