Help with bathroom caulking please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got whats probably a very stupid question.
I'm currently redecorating our bathroom, and caulking between the tile and bathis proving a little tricky. I've used some pretty standard "shower and bath sealant" I bought from the local hardware store, but the caulking is cracking due to water/people being in the bath, and the bath flexing a little with the added weight.

I've tried calulking when the bath was full and leaving it for a few days, and also caulking when it was empty but it just keeps cracking open (see pic)

My question is: is there a better sealant I should be using? Perhaps something more flexible? Or is it a simple case of my bad technique?

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
If the bath is flexing that much then it won't matter what sealant you use. You will need to get under the bath and get it tightened up before re sealing.

If the bath is flexing that much then it won't matter what sealant you use. You will need to get under the bath and get it tightened up before re sealing.

Hi

Thanks for the tip. We've had the bath (and tiles) for a few years, and there was already sealant on it which hadn't cracked. I only removed it because it was growing a fair bit of mould, although I'm kind of wishing I hadn't!

Jim

You might be able to prop it up underneath with some timber to tighten it up.

Sponsored Links

Hi

Thanks for the tip. We've had the bath (and tiles) for a few years, and there was already sealant on it which hadn't cracked. I only removed it because it was growing a fair bit of mould, although I'm kind of wishing I hadn't!

Jim

If you think the bath is secure, try cleaning out ALL of the existing sealant and using Dow Corning 785 instead. Best there is imo.

Apply a bead of sealant then spray it with a mist of warm soapy water (washing up liquid will do), then finish with a wet finger or one of the below. Then let the soapy water evaporate.

Always fill the bath first, and only drain it once the sealant is cured.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-corning-785-bacteria-resistant-sanitary-silicone-white-310ml/58308

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-S...8&qid=1389188134&sr=1-2&keywords=sealant+tool

Hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back