Help with building a boxed hole in Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
Had the old back boiler and gas fire removed from the chimney breast in front room, Were hoping to put in a multi-fuel stove in place but quotes are a little out of our price range at the moment,
So in the mean time I want to but a boxed hole in place (ornament box if you will)

I've built a stud frame with boxing it off with plywood in mind but I would love smooth edges if possible, which I guess means using plasterboard instead.

Whats your thoughts on this.

My experience in plastering is limited to repairing one hole on a brick wall, which didn't go so bad.

AiuMBypl.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
MDF would give you smooth edges so no need for plastering.

MDF would give you smooth edges so no need for plastering.

Not a bad idea but I guess the edge of MDF would have a different texture than the plaster next to it, even after painted,
I'm going to have to plaster up to the box corners no matter what the material,

Am I correct in thinking I would use a plaster tape on the edge and than plaster over? or some sort of metal corner brace?

Sponsored Links
I did similar but used slates, looks a smashing little hole in the chimney and now has er indoors big budda in it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back