Help with chimney breast removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally, I would like to remove this chimney breast from both floors but depending on how much extra it would cost, I may just go for the ground floor only since the first floor one will be inside a fitted wardrobe.

I have received a quote for £4600 to do both floors and £3400 to do the ground floor only. These prices include everything from start to finish such as the building application, skips, plastering etc.

Firstly, are these reasonable quotes for the work or can I do much better?
Secondly (most importantly!), what do you think the absolute minimum I could have it done for if I got someone in to just remove the bricks and secure the remaining breast? I will then fill in the floor(s) and replaster.

I know this is something you can't mess about with but I'm really trying to budget since I've got a lot of other expenditures. Removing the ground floor breast especially will make a big difference to my plans.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Get a couple more quotes and select on price, and competence feelings about the builder.
Ask each builder the following questions:
"If both c/breasts are being removed, which one will be removed first, and
where & how will the supports for the remaining brickwork go?"

The answers are: gallows brackets fixed in the loft before the first floor c/breast is removed.

The prices quoted seem high but i dont know where you are located.

The actual work is simplicity itself but dusty. Research similar posts on this subject on here. FWIW, see my posts feb 22, june 18 & july 22 2014.

Perhaps post pics of the upstairs c/b, and the outside stack?

If you leave the c/breast in a bedroom fitted unit, then some means of providing adequate ventilation for the remaining flues will have to be found.

Get a couple more quotes and select on price, and competence feelings about the builder.
Ask each builder the following questions:
"If both c/breasts are being removed, which one will be removed first, and
where & how will the supports for the remaining brickwork go?"

The answers are: gallows brackets fixed in the loft before the first floor c/breast is removed.

The prices quoted seem high but i dont know where you are located.

The actual work is simplicity itself but dusty. Research similar posts on this subject on here. FWIW, see my posts feb 22, june 18 & july 22 2014.

Perhaps post pics of the upstairs c/b, and the outside stack?

If you leave the c/breast in a bedroom fitted unit, then some means of providing adequate ventilation for the remaining flues will have to be found.

Thanks for the advice. After posting this thread, I did some more research about what was involved exactly, saw photos and thought I could do this! I'm sure I sound cocky saying this especially if unseen or uncommon complications arise but as long as the breast is supported properly with gallows (or not if the neighbour has already had his removed) in the loft then is it not just a case of removing the bricks until I get to the bottom?

I may just get someone to install the gallows even though after reading councils' recommendations it seems straight forward enough. It's just the legalities I need to be clear on. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Cost depends on where you live for example your first quote if in London would be reasonable.

Gallows brackets are not always suitable there is information usually from your council on the internet.

Best to have all of the chimney breast done at the same time,it costs a little more but then it's done and no more dust.

I am glad you have gone down the route of involving your council,so many people still don't and all is ok until you want to sell your house.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back