Help with Concrete driveway p;lease

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am in the process of extending my concrete driveway. i have dug out turf and soil to 6 inches deep.
Please can you give advice on what membrane i need to lay, is plastic sheet ok, or must it be a specific type?

I am then going to put a layer of gravel and then order the concrete to go on top.
does it matter what type of gravel i use?

Any other tips much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You don't need any kind of membrane for a concrete driveway and you don't want gravel either, you need MOT type 1 (also known as blinding) which is a mixture of all sizes right down to dust which compacts and binds together. Then you need to compact it with a vibrating plate and then put your concrete down on that.

You don't need any kind of membrane for a concrete driveway and you don't want gravel either, you need MOT type 1 (also known as blinding) which is a mixture of all sizes right down to dust which compacts and binds together. Then you need to compact it with a vibrating plate and then put your concrete down on that.

Thanks, where would i get this, do you have any idea of cost?

Sponsored Links
it is pretty cheap, in the region of 15 quid per tonne in a bag maybe another 10 for delivery, your local builders merchant or landscaping place will have it. If your on a very tight budget and have access to a trailer you could probably get it for 7/8 quid per tonne loose. You really do need to compact it though so add in the hire of a vibrating plate at 25 quid.

Don't want to be a doomsayer and discourage you but this is pretty basic but essential stuff so it maybe a good idea to rope in a diy-savy friend who has worked with concrete before, its very staright forward but you do not get any second chances with concrete.

If its not too big and your happy enough to give it a go don't let me sway you, just ask for anymore advice you need!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back