Help with Cross Ventilation - Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As my builder buggered off without putting in the soffit vents I had BC out last week and lo and behold it's changed and we need cross ventilation on the flat roof of my extension and we're not able to just put in the soffit vents on the front overhang, but rather being asked to do it from side to side... so I found the over fascia vents, took off the board and it appears that I'm not going to get them up in there as the gap in the cross battens is lower than the felt - also I didn't think I'd get them behind the felt either. Any ideas short of cutting circles in the side and risking rain coming in, or even worse, putting trickle vent canopies on either side?

Sponsored Links
It looks like you may be in luck, there appears to be cross battening across the rafters so you can vent at the soffit as you suggested and fit a few mushroom vents at the top end of the roof near to the abutment with the house. It will require some work doing to the felt roof though..

OP,
are they "cross battens" - or are they tapered furring strips?

They're cross battens with the farings on top... ok mushrooms it is, but how do I work out how many? All BC can tell me is 'as long as it meets minimum requirements'. FFS. I know it's 25000 something, but I don't know what that relates to!

Sponsored Links
Do people still design/build cold flatties? This is the reason why warm roofs are 99% favoured.

Use mushroom vents. Pig ugly, pain to fit but adequate. Fit four or summat, BC are unlikely to get their calculator out.

you should have the equivalent of 25mm along the whole length, how wide is the roof, but as nose says I would be inclined to just bung 4 in there take a photo send to building control and get them to sign it off also show them that the roof is cross ventilated with battens. Just make sure your mushrooms sit in the rafter gaps. and try and avoid the cross battens too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back