Help with expanding kitchen panels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a kitchen that is barely 6 months old. On the island, the trim seems to be separating from the wood near the floor side of the panels. The wood is now expanding. On one side, there was always a small 'defect' which can be seen in the pictures which may have caused the problem but it is also evident on the other side where there is no defect. Having already dealt with this kitchen company on a number of occasions, I know they will not do anything about it and will blame me for the defect. Even though I can argue it is splitting on the other side and there is no way an impact into a corner would cause that kind of defect.

My question is in relation to repairing what is there or to improve the cosmesis now. Could I simply get some sort of silicone / sealant and fill the exposed areas. This would look better than the current situation I hope? Please feel free to offer any ideas. Feeling gutted as was very expensive and only 6 months old.

Sorry the pictures need to be rotated 90 deg. clockwise.

Sponsored Links
The chipboard has "blown" due to damp you need to identify the source.

Most probable thing apart from a leaking pipe is a damp floor or possibly washing the floor with a wet mop, or in the case of the later ones that look like they are on a work top a leak in a pipe as said or water standing on the work surface.

Some pictures from a little further back might help to suggest some sort of repair job.

The chipboard has "blown" due to damp you need to identify the source.

Most probable thing apart from a leaking pipe is a damp floor or possibly washing the floor with a wet mop, or in the case of the later ones that look like they are on a work top a leak in a pipe as said or water standing on the work surface.

Some pictures from a little further back might help to suggest some sort of repair job.

Only wet mop if anything. Should the trim not be sealed for such issues being a kitchen? Any ideas to repair or improve appearance?

Many, indeed most, kitchens use something like this under the bottom edge of end panels and kickboards.

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/plinth-sealing-strips-18-19-mm-panels-7588.html

In addition to sealing any raw edges with PVA/mastic to stop water getting in.

Chipboard is hopeless once it gets wet it is essential to seal any raw edges and not allow edges where the surface laminate joins to get wet for any longer than needed just to wipe over to clean.

Wet mopping will do it I'm afraid, is the mottled surface floor or worktop?

Sponsored Links
Many, indeed most, kitchens use something like this under the bottom edge of end panels and kickboards.

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/plinth-sealing-strips-18-19-mm-panels-7588.html

In addition to sealing any raw edges with PVA/mastic to stop water getting in.

Chipboard is hopeless once it gets wet it is essential to seal any raw edges and not allow edges where the surface laminate joins to get wet for any longer than needed just to wipe over to clean.

Wet mopping will do it I'm afraid, is the mottled surface floor or worktop?

It is the floor. Photos need to be rotated by 90 deg. clockwise. Thanks for the tips on the sealing strips but not sure how they would be fitted now ?

Looks strange (got a crick in me neck now looking at them :D ) the first is quite normal with an end panel to the floor, which might be replacable and a replacable kick board along the front, but the other looks like it sits on the ground with no spacing off the floor it's bound to get damp.

As I said if you can stand back and get a picture of the general lay out it would be easier to visualize, try holding your camera landscape it might come out turned 90% .

Panels have probably been cut and not sealed , too late to, fix will need replacement.Sloppy job.

Panels have probably been cut and not sealed , too late to, fix will need replacement.Sloppy job.

And crap materials. Kitchen suppliers are on a roll - supply chipboard components for a wet environment, rip out and replace every few years because it's bsggered.

Cheers
Richard

Looks strange (got a crick in me neck now looking at them :D ) the first is quite normal with an end panel to the floor, which might be replacable and a replacable kick board along the front, but the other looks like it sits on the ground with no spacing off the floor it's bound to get damp.

As I said if you can stand back and get a picture of the general lay out it would be easier to visualize, try holding your camera landscape it might come out turned 90% .

This is the general layout of the kitchen.

As kitchen less than 6 months old - do I have case against the supplier? Also if they shrug all responsibility what can I do to minimise damage and ensure this does not worsen - must be something I could do...??? Sealant perhaps??

No the supplier will merely reiterate what has been said here already, that has been badly installed, and they would be right. It is for the installer to put right. It doesn't help that they will forever be getting brushed by feet and brushes etc for ever more. You could try sealing it, it will probably get worse no matter what but sealing it may slow the process down. As mentioned replacement is the only sure cure. A good kitchen fitter could be approached for the task, though it'd be a PITA job also dependent upon
getting matching replacements etc.

Under the existing plinths you should be fitting the sealing strips as per footprints previous link if they don't have the them already.

PS you'd think you'd have had a tidy up before you took the photo! :D

Yes I am afraid replacing the end panels and kickboards as well as fitting the strips is the only way to go.

That will mean removing the work top and dismantling the unit however as it is an island unit at least there are no tile or upstand issues to worry about, so not as bad as a wall fitted unit would be.

Poor fitting has not helped, I would also avoid wet cleaning and perhaps use the disposable wipes on the floor in future.

Sorry but no simple repair I can suggest.

Firstly Go back to the Installer, before you try interferring with any of their work, they have not done the work to your satisfaction,

The edge panels should have been sealed before installation plus a silicone bead between the panel and the flooring, its a kitchen and the floors are going to be washed, wiped, mopped on a daily basis, the Installers should know that. six months and the panels have blown .
Its bad workmanship.

No the supplier will merely reiterate what has been said here already, that has been badly installed, and they would be right. It is for the installer to put right. It doesn't help that they will forever be getting brushed by feet and brushes etc for ever more. You could try sealing it, it will probably get worse no matter what but sealing it may slow the process down. As mentioned replacement is the only sure cure. A good kitchen fitter could be approached for the task, though it'd be a PITA job also dependent upon
getting matching replacements etc.

Under the existing plinths you should be fitting the sealing strips as per footprints previous link if they don't have the them already.

PS you'd think you'd have had a tidy up before you took the photo! :D

The kitchen supplier insisted I use his installer and not my builder. You are right the state of the kitchen looks awful - should have given it a tidy - sorry :oops:

Surely I must have some legal clout here - especially as it was the kitchen supplier who arranged installation?

Well it depends who you had a contract with, did you have a supply and fit contract with the supplier? That could change things but we're not psychic so don't know who arranged for fitting or any of that, all you've said is you don't want the original fitter back.

Am only joking about the state of the kitchen! You should see ours, its just life! :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back