Help with flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a small (5 by 3 foot) flat roof over my bay window that isn't draining away due to dips which I want to rectify.

I bought some roof felt and roof adhesive and was going to sort of layer it to get the water to run away and seal it properly but I had a thought about using some self leveling compound of some description. The only one I can find is for interior concrete floors before tiling (B&Q) but if I'm going to seal it all, would it matter that it is "interior" and not designed for that purpose. I just want to get a flat starting point.

As you can tell I am not a builder at all but sadly I can't afford an expert. Any help would be very much appreciated before I undertake an amature job

Sponsored Links
The proper way would be to strip off the roof, fix the underlying problem (supporting timber not done right/boards too thin or poor quality/insufficient pitch) and relay it. If you are planning to refelt anyway, it's probably not a whole lot of extra work.

If I were you I would forget the self levelling compound and go to your local timber merchants and buy a 18mm piece of ply the size of your bay, then screw that to your existing bay roof using bits of batons/timber to tilt it to your gutters, and then I think you will have a decent base to apply your felt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back