Help with identifying hold ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have moved house and acquired an extended garage set about clearing it out and found on one poor looking roof joist brown spherical balls, which I thought were resin from the wood but one of my mates touched a one and it disintegrated into powder. The wood also looks bad with wood worn, just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Many thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not that I can see, my friend touched a one and it broke apart into dust, I cant see, it does look like this peice of wood is riddled with wood worn though. Cheers Mark

In softwood joists, insects typically only attack wet or decayed timber, except for longhorn but that's only in the Surrey area.

So if it is insect damage, it's worth find out why.

The exit hole size will help identify the type of insect.

It could be something that is no longer active and nothing to worry about (likely), or something that needs a nuclear solution (unlikely).

Thats great so basically its not mould but more than likely left by an insect as yet unnamed. The joist to be fair can be easily replaced, which is what I intended to do, just didn't want to have spores all over the place. Cheers

think id be more worried about that strange metal thing that seems to be growing out of the timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back