Help with installing a Howden's kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
My husband and I are putting in a new Howden's kitchen, and there is one small problem, which that is we have never put a kitchen in before (so you might ask how we got a Howden's kitchen? Well I have an account, they asked if we were 'in the trade', I am in a trade, just not a construction one!) We are fairly sensible people, like to do DIY, and have so far solved a number of problems that have come up- however this one has stumped us. How do we connect the hanging cabinets together? In the old kitchen that we've ripped out, we noticed that the units were joined by plastic fasteners, but nothing like that, nor the holes for such, were provided with our kitchen units.
Any advice, tips or suggestions from more experienced kitchen fitters? I've watched a number of good Youtube clips, but the issue of connecting units hadn't come up on the clips I watched!
Many thanks in advance;
The Mrs

Sponsored Links
you hang the cabinets on the wall, adjust them so they align perfectly, then drill a hole in a convenient and inconspicuous position and screw together. IMO the chromes sleeve nuts are preferable, though a plastic version will do.

BTW it is easier to align the cabs, and you get a stronger fixing, if you use cabinet hanging rail, one length, rather than the short pieces usually provided with the adjustable hangers.

these pics are off ebay
s-l225.jpg
Hanger 2032mm

s-l225.jpg
individual

s-l225.jpg
joiners
(the screw fits into the sleeve so gets shorter as you tighten)

Many thanks JohnD, this sounds very helpful! The wall bracket we have already bought, but the tip about the joiners helps a lot, thanks!

Dear all,
My husband and I are putting in a new Howden's kitchen, and there is one small problem, which that is we have never put a kitchen in before (so you might ask how we got a Howden's kitchen? Well I have an account, they asked if we were 'in the trade', I am in a trade, just not a construction one!) We are fairly sensible people, like to do DIY, and have so far solved a number of problems that have come up- however this one has stumped us. How do we connect the hanging cabinets together? In the old kitchen that we've ripped out, we noticed that the units were joined by plastic fasteners, but nothing like that, nor the holes for such, were provided with our kitchen units.
Any advice, tips or suggestions from more experienced kitchen fitters? I've watched a number of good Youtube clips, but the issue of connecting units hadn't come up on the clips I watched!
Many thanks in advance;
The Mrs

I too am about to install a few bits in my kitchen. As per some YouTube videos.. In order to hide the joiner screws.. Ppl drill a hole between the two hinge holes and join the cabinets.. Then put the hinge on.. That way these screws are hidden from sight. But do this only once you have hanged and aligned the wall cabinets.

Sponsored Links
Once the cabinets are in position clamp them together (laterally) then drill and join

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back