Help with insulating a wooden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a 16' x 8' shed installed which will be used to house my pet rats and a small office for me.

Now I need to insulate it and I am been told so many different things I have no idea what to do.

Some people (who already have rat sheds) are telling me polystyrene sheets and then cover with ply.

Others are telling me to use Kingspan with hardboard.

HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Just for the shed information:
19mm Tongue and Groove Cladding
76mm x 50mm (3'x'2) Framework
76mm x 50mm (3'x2') Floor Bearers
76mm x 50mm (3'x2') Roof Joists
INCH THICK Floor Boards
16mm Thick Roof Boards

RCTLisa";p="1300829 said:
I am about to have a 16' x 8' shed installed which will be used to house my pet rats and a small office for me.

Now I need to insulate it and I am been told so many different things I have no idea what to do.

Sponsored Links
remember if you are going to put electircity in it put your cable in before you insulate it screwfix are the cheapest for armoured cable 39 quid and garage consumer unit with rcd 34 quid i put 2 double sockets from bq socket 2 quid back box 98p i got someone to connect eletricity mine runs from double metal socket in livingroom with large hole in it for the armoured cable witch runs through to summerhouse then its conected to garage consumer unit with rcd for safety hope this helps you
Sorry, here goes.

1. Do not run cable in insulation unless it is sufficiently derated.
2. not normally a good idea to terminate SWA to back of a recessed backbox, because theres no access to gland it. I bet yours isnt glanded.
3. if the living room socket is RCD protected (it should be, given the addition to the circuit), theres no purpose to the extra RCD in the shed.
4. Also what you probably have is curently very unsafe, because I bet its in 2.5mm. 2.5mm is ok for ring mains, because theres 2 of them, but for a spur to more than one socket (what you have) it is too small, because it can only carry 25 amps AT BEST. It should have a 13 amp fuse protecting it. I hope the man who connected it has good PLI for when your house burns down.
5. Spurring from a socket for an outhouse is a bodge. Its allowed, but not how you describe. garage CU's have their place, but on a ring main spur is not one of them.

In short, theres a whole lot more to electrical installation in a shed then you imply. Did you export a TNCS earth? Are there any extraeneous conductive parts in the shed? What is the distance to the shed and what is the volt drop along your supply cable? Was the installation tested? Do you have paperwork?

Steve";p="1323996 said:
angie6767";p="1318136 said:
Sorry, here goes.

1. Do not run cable in insulation unless it is sufficiently derated.
2. not normally a good idea to terminate SWA to back of a recessed backbox, because theres no access to gland it. I bet yours isnt glanded.
3. if the living room socket is RCD protected (it should be, given the addition to the circuit), theres no purpose to the extra RCD in the shed.
4. Also what you probably have is curently very unsafe, because I bet its in 2.5mm. 2.5mm is ok for ring mains, because theres 2 of them, but for a spur to more than one socket (what you have) it is too small, because it can only carry 25 amps AT BEST. It should have a 13 amp fuse protecting it. I hope the man who connected it has good PLI for when your house burns down.
5. Spurring from a socket for an outhouse is a bodge. Its allowed, but not how you describe. garage CU's have their place, but on a ring main spur is not one of them.

In short, theres a whole lot more to electrical installation in a shed then you imply. Did you export a TNCS earth? Are there any extraeneous conductive parts in the shed? What is the distance to the shed and what is the volt drop along your supply cable? Was the installation tested? Do you have paperwork?[/quote

thankyou for you reply steve i have removed my post i should have not given advice on wiring mine was done by a electrician it took 7 hrs to do i just looked at pic of products on screwfix that looked similar i do get your point from now on i will just stick to changing plugs from now on good to know if i need any advice will give you a buzz cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back