Help with laminate sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am renovating a bungalow and am in process of doing the kitchen. I am going to lay Wickes laminate flooring and I want to know if I need to put plywood down first?

The current floor is wood planks and is v level and my kitchen fitter said I didnt need ply but the guy in Wickes said it can help with movement and insulation? Iv never done a renovation before so not sure what to do.

Room is 3x7 mtr

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can safely listen to the kitchen fitter. If it's really flat, then all you'll need is a 2mm underlay. Make sure you leave an expansion gap with cork around the edges, and being a kitchen, think seriously about using a waterproof laminate glue to seal the joints. If the washing machine leaks, then it won't swell.

Thanks so much! saved me £100! and thanks for the glue tip! :)

Sponsored Links
And just for the record plywood is a very poor insulator. Maybe he thought it might help the draughts, but the laminate floor would do that anyway. Best to put the insulation under the floorboards if you need it.

And just for the record plywood is a very poor insulator. Maybe he thought it might help the draughts, but the laminate floor would do that anyway. Best to put the insulation under the floorboards if you need it.

The floor boards are straight onto crawlspace underneath so cant really insulate under. It should be ok with the laminate underlay and the laminate.

thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back