Help with light switch L1,L2,L3?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a Eurolite single gang light switch and triple gang. The problem is that they have a different number system on the back from the switches I am to replace.

Eurolite switches are numbered L1 at the top and L2 & L3 at the bottom. The old triple gang has three blocks of 4 holes, with 1 & 2 at the top and the same on the bottom. How do I correspond the holes with the new switch?

Regarding earthing the brass plate - is it ok to leave the earth cable attached to the metal box at back and via short earth wire attach the brass plate to the metal box.

Sponsored Links
- is it ok to leave the earth cable attached to the metal box at back and via short earth wire attach the brass plate to the metal box.
Yes. Insulate it with green/yellow sleeving though.

As regards the wiring, what is the configuration on the old switches? Unless you've got two way switching there should only be two connections out of the four in use on each switch.

The L2 and L3 positions are the Normally Open and Normally Closed contacts.

satellite said:
The old triple gang has three blocks of 4 holes, with 1 & 2 at the top and the same on the bottom.
3 blocks of 4 holes sounds like it's a 3-gang intermediate - a very rare item.

How many wires are connected to the switch at the moment, and is it part of a 2-way, or 3-way switching system?

Thanks guys for your help. Yes it is a 3 gang intermeditary (I had to do further digging to find out what this is) - is it so rare? I seem to have this type of switches ( single gang, double ganges) thoughout my house, which I am gradually replacing but this triple gang foxes me.

Currently, if you can picture this:

The left gang is a two way switch with upstair's landing. It has a red wire from the wall cable attached to the top 1 and 2 holes, with separate red wires. The bottom number 1 hole has a red wire connected to number 2 hole of the middle gang - no wall cables attached.

The middle gang top number 2 hole only has a red wire attached from the wall cable. The bottom number 2 hole then is connected to the bottom number 2 hole of the third (right) gang.

The right gang also only has a red wire attached to the number 2 top hole from the wall cable. The bottom number 2 hole is also attached another red wire from the wall cable.

I hope my description is clear. How do transfer these wires to my new triple gang which only has L1, L2, L3 holes, tripled. And why are all the wires red covered.

Sponsored Links
The bottom number 2 hole then is connected to the bottom number 2 hole of the third (right) gang.

That's the live feed for the single way lights. It comes into the first switch and then is looped across to the second. On most switches the normal method of labelling is COM, L1, L2. Have a look at the "For Reference" post at the top of the electrics forum to see how your switch aligns with the layout that this shows. Once you've worked that out you can wire the live to the equivalent COM terminal on your new switch. The switched live to each light should be connected to the L1 or L2 depending which way up you mount your switch (!).

Similarly with the two way switch. The wire from the number 2 hole on the middle switch is the same live as mentioned above (if I've read your post correctly). This is linked to the number 1 hole on the two way (left hand) switch. The two red wires at the top of the switch are the feeds to the upstairs switch.

So, the top two wires will connect to the L1, L2 equivalent positions (again check for the alignment as mentioned above) with the link from the number two hole on the middle switch.

What you will end up with is a live feed to the COM position on each switch that comes in from one side and is linked across. The two way switch will have the L1 and L2 connections providing switched live to the upstairs switch and the middle and right hand switches having a single feed in L1 providing switched live to each light.

If in doubt came back and confirm any details.

Thanks IanDB. I think I'm understand what you're getting at. Nearly there!

When you are referring to L1 and L2, do you mean the standard L1 and L2, which includes the COM as the third hole?

Or are you referring to my L1 and L2? I think for my triple gang, L1 = COM because it is placed at the tip of the "triangle" and my L2 and L3 = L1 and L2 respectively on the standard way of numbering.

Too many L1 and L2 etc. Sorry.

Totally agree, sorry - it is getting a bit ambiguous!

When you are referring to L1 and L2, do you mean the standard L1 and L2, which includes the COM as the third hole?
Yes.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back