help with new double glazing,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi ..

I had new windows and doors fitted last year (sept) after a few problems, which the company sorted out, we finally got our FENSA certificate through, after reading through the leaflet they sent out with the certificate, I done the 'check' list and discovered that the panes the company had fitted were not safety glass marked, I rang and queried this and got told I had laminated glass which doesn't need to be safety marked, .. I am a novice at this home owning malarky, but I checked with Fensa, and they told me it needs to be marked ...end of!

Anyway, the company sent someone around to inspect, and none of the glass is safety glass .. my contract states toughened safety glass, the company have agreed to change all the panes, and the blame game is going on, I feel this was a deliberate cost cutting exercise not a 'mistake' .. especially since one of the panes have already been replaced.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a partial refund/goodwill gesture or is it enough that they are changing the panes? bearing in mind the time i have already taken off work so they could rectify earlier problems, now i have to take another day for a re-install! I'm not impressed tbh!

sorry for the moan .. but thanks for any thoughts :)

Sponsored Links
If FENSA are involved then i suspect they have had a quiet word with the installer, change the affected panes at your cost or lose your FENSA accreditation......simple as that, they will probably do a few more spot checks on said installers too.

I think you should just be grateful your getting them replaced

Sponsored Links
As you have aleady been in touch with FENSA, what actions have they offered to take against the installer, if any? Has this been documented or have you just dealt over the phone? A letter of complaint to FENSA would have been best but if the installers are rectifying the problems there probably isn't much more you can achieve. You could end up spending more time chasing and still end up no better off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back