Help with replacing a bathroom light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm sorry if this is against any rules or covered somewhere else but I'm having trouble replacing my bathroom light.
I stupidly forgot to make a note of where the wires went in the old light fitting so now I'm stuck.
I can get the light on but it won't turn off! Any help would be much appreciated!

I have 3 grey sheafs, one with a black, a brown and a grey wire in it, another with two brown wires in it and the last has a blue and a brown wire in it.

I've attached the blue and brown wire to live and neutral on the light fitting and the earth wire but I'm not 100% this is correct.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
The most likely:
brown/brown is the light switch
blue/brown is the mains supply
brown/black/grey is for an extractor fan.

Mains supply already confirmed as your light remains on all the time.
The others must be checked by looking inside the light switch and the fan to see which colours connect where.

In any event, that tiny black junction box supplied with the light is far too small, you will need to buy a much larger one with 4 terminals which can accommodate all of the wires, and it needs to be of suitable size to fit through the hole in the ceiling (or the hole can be made larger).

Is there an extractor fan that came on with the old light and continued to run for a time after the light was turned off ?

If yes what connections are made in the fan.

With that information it might be possible to tell you how to connect the wires.

What ever is necessary you WILL need an extra terminal block. You have three, you will need 4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back