Help with rotten Porch bracket please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
I am hoping you can help me, I was happily painting the front of our house today and everything was going well until I reached the Porch bracket (if that is even what its called?) (picture attached)

A quick prod with the screw driver to check the wood was good and the screwdriver vanished into the wooden batten screwed into the brick work.
Hasten to add this did not get painted as whilst 60% of the wood was good and strong, the rest was not, so penciled it down for replacement.

Here are my questions:
1) is it load bearing? I.e if I removed it to replace it would I need to support the porch / house roof? Would it fall down if removed?

2) if its not load bearing, is something like this an OK replacement?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALLOW-CA...986292?hash=item51e86fb674:g:DzAAAOSwtnpXlPIY

3) Any advice or tips? Has it got an actual special name for instance?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Roof.jpg
    Roof.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 531
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
It's a timber gallows bracket. Widely available. I've noticed my plastic supplier has started stocking them.

You should be able to prop from the bottom edge of the fascia provided everything is tight fitting as there is not a lot of weight involved.

It's a timber gallows bracket. Widely available. I've noticed my plastic supplier has started stocking them.

You should be able to prop from the bottom edge of the fascia provided everything is tight fitting as there is not a lot of weight involved.

Thanks,
So it is not supporting the porch then?

Sponsored Links
So it is not supporting the porch then?
Yes. Hence this.....

Thanks,
So theoretical question, if it was removed without the support you mentioned the porch end would not come crashing down on our heads?

We are obviously going to follow your advice and use a support, I am just suprised that it is purely cosmetic really.

Its stopping the porch roof from sagging and rotating. It may live merrily on without the support though I would not recommend it, especially if it gets windy or the window cleaner wants to pop his foot on there.

The fascia prop method will be reliable as long as the fascia has not been clad (with a gap between the lip and the original fascia) and that it is not rotten and is fixed well into the rafters.

Its stopping the porch roof from sagging and rotating. It may live merrily on without the support though I would not recommend it, especially if it gets windy or the window cleaner wants to pop his foot on there.

The fascia prop method will be reliable as long as the fascia has not been clad (with a gap between the lip and the original fascia) and that it is not rotten and is fixed well into the rafters.

Thanks
I assume that the bracket is screwed into a joist, so I think if I support it at the end of bracket and spread the load of the support then I should be OK.

Thanks for your help! Staffordshire helping Staffordshire ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back