Help with Stud Work Angles (not 45°)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to create some stud work at a 20° angle to an existing wall. (Basically wall is straight then kinks off at 20° and then carries on straight, I hope that makes sense)

I can only find information about making a 45° angle.
I can work out the top and bottom plate cuts I need to make (2 x 80° pieces), but what can I do to fill the wedge between the uprights either side of the angle?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I get the vague idea; is it 20° to the vertical, or the horizontal. A picture will help.

Here's a plan view. The walls in question are the diagonal ones.

Perhaps I don't need to fill them, perhaps just running the plasterboards slightly over will be okay at such a slight angle.

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need to fill the gaps. You'll have an upright each side of the angles, and a wedge shaped gap in between them, but this is fine, the plasterboard will cover the gap, and you'll use tape over the join, and that should be fine. You could try filling it with foam if you're really worried, otherwise you'd need to cut the uprights at an angle on a bench saw.

Perhaps I don't need to fill them, perhaps just running the plasterboards slightly over will be okay at such a slight angle.
No you don't need to fill in the gap, you will have good adequate fixing points either side, to attach plasterboards.
The plasterboard can be shaved off at an angle to but up, if you wish. You can use a surform block (dry-wall rasp), if you want to make a neat job of it.
Then the angle can be finished off using a stop end bead, I would prefer this against a taped joint, as it makes a neater more durable finish. You could also use flex corner tape, but again, I would advise use of a stop angle bead.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back