Help with worktop jigs, routers, biscuit joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm would say i'm keen DIYer, have used routers and this is the first time I'll be fitting new kitchen worktops, I'll need to make about 6 joints.
I have a makita 3620 router, this DOESN'T have 1/2" cutter. It has 6mm or 8mm collets.
I also have the trend combi 650 worktop jig.
Whilst finding guide bushes and sub bases I have now got confused !

I'm now aware I need 1/2" cutter for the worktop jig, is using a 1/4" collet to 1/2" cutter ok?

So are all worktop jigs made to work with 1/2" cutters only?

The trend combi 650 worktop jig makes 2 underside bolt holes.
Do I need to make biscuit joints? I'm not sure if it's the norm to do this all the time? I will have a section of worktop that will be empty undernear and was wondering if I should biscuit joint that one only.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use biscuits to help with lining up,only do it if you can be sure you can use a biscuit jointer properly. If you just use the bolts to clamp at least you can make fine adjustment to get a nice leval surface. !/2;routers are reccomended for cutting worktops.Remember to put some colorfil in joint before clamping up.ps sorry just saw your other query about just using biscuits,Don't, you wont get the joint to close up properly.

to save confushion you need a 1/2" shank cutter around 50mm long cutting edge
they are never present in general cutter sets only avalable as a "worktop cutter" singularly or in sets
you will need a router off 1600-2000w and a 30mm guide bush
you can get buiscuit cutters for routers

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for the info, I called Makita and they recommended a 1/4" shank to 1/2" cutter for the router, I'll use a biscuit cutter set for the router for the biscuit joints.

Technically you could get by with a smaller shank, but you will be doing loads of passes and have to make adjustments to compensate. In other words a PITA.

Technically you could get by with a smaller shank, but you will be doing loads of passes and have to make adjustments to compensate. In other words a PITA.

the troube is you dont get the reach you can only cut the cutter length plus around 12mm [1/3 the shank sticking out]so around 30-38mm
the cutters tend to be low quality and because your doubling the number off passes you will need 2 cutters per joint if they are the correct size for the 30mm guide bush and the correct length [which they are not usualy]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back