help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told by many many people to use 1 part emulsion to 4 parts water to act as sealent for walls, so its not to thick on 1st coat, now im being told that it should be 3 parts emulsion and 1 part water?

Now if those people who gave advice in 1st place, and they were the plasterer, B&Q as i asked them as i wasnt sure the plasterer was right and my bro inlaw said the same... well if they are all wrong can i reverse what ive already done by now giving 2nd coat with 3 emulsion matt and 1 water, surely it wouldnt damage to do this? Im using HOMEBASE PURE BRILLIANT WHTE MATT EMULSION..

HELP PLEASE?? I want to get it done before i weaken, refer to 1st post for my reasons, maybe after all this time ive started bit quick, but i must get sealant right, before i paint... many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sealing new plaster :?: You can thin paint as much as you like ;) so 1-3 or 1-4 both are fine. What IS bad is to put it on new plaster near undiluted , I`ve just spent days stripping the whole walls in a bedroom . 20 years ago it was plastered and paint slapped on too thick- Not by me . Came off with the wallpaper :cry: . You have sealed the walls sucessfully :!: Next you can give it a "full" coat diluted with a drop of water to "ease" the paint, there should be instructions on the tin as to how much. It`s not an exact science ;)

Sealing new plaster :?: You can thin paint as much as you like ;) so 1-3 or 1-4 both are fine. What IS bad is to put it on new plaster near undiluted , I`ve just spent days stripping the whole walls in a bedroom . 20 years ago it was plastered and paint slapped on too thick- Not by me . Came off with the wallpaper :cry: . You have sealed the walls sucessfully :!: Next you can give it a "full" coat diluted with a drop of water to "ease" the paint, there should be instructions on the tin as to how much. It`s not an exact science ;)
So I can go now with another coat of emulsion say with 4 emulsion and 1 water on homebase tin it says 4emulsion and 1 water, so if i had what it said on tin in 1st place,i would have mucked it up..so its ok to put on near undiluted now???? before i start colour paints.

Its all down to the individual brands of paint...I have thinned dulux supermatt by more than 50% and its still done the job..home brand paints arnt as thick so maybe 20-30% would work

Sponsored Links
Its all down to the individual brands of paint...I have thinned dulux supermatt by more than 50% and its still done the job..home brand paints arnt as thick so maybe 20-30% would work
I had Homebase matt, its done the job OK...

Now its down to colour paint ooooer my colour schemes never been good, No carpet picked yet, but black and white curtains and bedspread, so will go neutral but what 1, yuk i hate this bit, matching is not my game...And i will go flat Matt colour as its durable with my grandchildren it has to be lol..I guess its 2 coats with colour paint, unless its good paint..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back