HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a flat in the south side of Glasgow, its in need of some major TLC! This is the first flat I've bought so I'm completely new to how much everything costs etc. I'm looking to get a rough price for the redeocrating of it as my job means I dont have enought time to do all the work my self. I dont need any wallpapering and no paper needs stripped, just painting, the room sizes are:

LOUNGE - 18'9" x 13'10" (5.72m x 4.22m)
BEDROOM 1 - 16' x 11' (4.88m x 3.35m)
BEDROOM 2 - 11'11" x 11'4" (3.63m x 3.45m)
BEDROOM 3 - 10'3" x 9'11" (3.12m x 3.02m)

One bedrrom has some fairley inticate corninsing, the skirting boards / woodwork are all glossed in every room (buts its turned yellow and looks nasty) so would need stripped back and glossed again. Due to it being a tenement flat the ceilings are high in each room as well. My question is what would be a reasonable price to have each room painted including skirting boards and door frames? I have no idea about this so would appreciate the info!

Sponsored Links
Pick a number, times it by three divide it by 4 and add 10%.

Seriously no-one can price that without looking and any one that does aint no decorator. With respect a pro will see problems, know how to solve them and suggest the right products for preparation and finishing.
Best get three quotes and pick the guy/girl that :

Turns up to quote on time
Returns a written quotation promptly
Listens to what you want
Suggests quality materials such as trade paints
Takes a reasonable amount of time, not too fast or too slow
Provides an address and landline number
Doesn't only work for cash
Anything under £80 a day is a chancer anything over £150 is ripping you off

There's more but you get the picture

Thanks for this, I know there isn't much info to go on, I was just looking for very rough indicative prices to help me budget a little! I have a decorator coming on thursday to give me a price after seeing the job so hopefully will have a better idea then!

Sponsored Links
For an average size bedroom for example, with basic prep needed, I would charge around £400 plus paint.

I never quote without seeing the job first tho.

You can't be serious. £400 labour per day? nah you're winding us up.

four hundred plus the VAT of course

£350-400 for a bedroom sounds about right to me, plenty out there doing it badly at half the price though

I can re-plaster and decorate for little more than that.

It's a lot more than you need pay.

Why not do it yourself?

I would do it myself and I intend to try and do a couple of rooms but I only have 2 weeks to get it done as I need to moveout the place i'm in just now and I work away sunday to friday, only leaves 2 saturdays to do it all and I dont think I can do it in time!

OK but you don't need to pay £400 per room. If you are sticking to similar colours that are on there now you can quite easily do a room per day.

I would charge around £240 - including paint for that.

If it needed a lot of prepping and the colour was changing then two days so £350 inc paint.

If the walls need skimming as well - Add £150.

For ceiling - add £150

As a job lot with a key to get in and out - I'd reduce a fair bit from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back