HENRY Hoover stopped working....

It's not advisable to bypass the on off switch .Get a new one not expensive they pull out and you push new one in the wires you just change over,good luck keeping him alive!!

Sponsored Links
My Henry had a dodgy wire on the plug. Replaced the original plug and its fine again. I wonder how many vacuum cleaners are thrown out because of this fault :rolleyes:

Henry hoovers are very easy to fix in my DIY experience (I run a B&B). I hope the following helps someone.

Safety first: keep Henry unplugged at all times during disassemble. Reassemble fully to test Henry after eliminating each step, only then plug in. Apart from obvious electrical safety, this also prevents all sorts of problems if the motor kicks in with the casing loose!

Tools needed: 1 Philips screwdriver and a 2 hands ready for dirt

Here is my checklist for you:

If your Henry cuts out intermittantly

- It is most likely the copper contacts within the the cable reel. There

are 4 screws to unscrew to get to this. These can be bought very cheaply and replaced (www.espares.co.uk or www.ebay.co.uk).

- It could also simply be a loose contact in the plug, very common with the hoover being tugged all the time.

If Henry is showing no signs of life(!)

- First thing to check is the fuse....

- Next, check the on/off switch. If you are not competent enough, get an electrician to test this by bypassing it using the wires. Brown (live) to brown, blue (neutral) to blue. Safety first people. If Henry works, order a new switch, the easiest and cheapest part to find and replace for a Henry!
- Failing this, some Henrys have a hi/lo switch that may be faulty. As
has happened twice to me in one week with 2 different Henrys. This switch is attached to a tiny circuit board further within Henry's casing. Unscrew a
further 3 screws to get to the motor compartment, making sure to lift the
casing off the right side up. The wires from the hi/lo rocker switch can be clipped off and transfered directly to the on/off rocker switch, where the live and neutral should be. Simply throw away the useless circuit board and keep the disconnected hi/lo switch in place if you wish. You will not have the hi/lo facility anymore. As your Henry gets older, you may find the hi/lo facility becomes an annoyance anyway! Not worth the hassle to replace in my opinion.
- If this is not the cause, the next thing to check is the motor brushes.
Again, easily obtainable and replacable. This is a common problem with older
Henrys as the brushes become worn over time with use.

Failing this, it might be time for a new Henry. This is all I know so far, feel free to add more solutions.

Good luck and keep Henry alive people.

Great advice m8 got my henry back up on his feet and scored some browny points with the wife "priceless". Just to confirm high/low switch or circuit board on my henry ( or should i say wife's henry lol) was at fault. Just done conversion as shown above.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
New on/off switch on amazon £3.84 delivered so not expensive to fix if anybody needs to know

Sponsored Links
Please excuse me hijacking this thread.

My Henry is dead. I have fault tracked a number of things - fuse/cable, new contacts, bypassed switch, etc etc.

I have now removed the motor from the machine and applied voltage directly to the contacts. Nothing.

Is this likely to be the brushes, or new motor time?

Thanks

Robin

Brushes worn down will give the dead effect.

I tried bypassing the switch but strangely for some reason the little circuit board still stopped it from working(got rid of circuit board along with boost switch) Works ok now. If you have detached the motor completely from machine (without the circuit board) for testing it should work unless brushes or motor is shot.

Anyone had the issue where the light next to the hi/lo switch comes on but motor wont power up. Is this likely to be the brushes or the plug?

Poss the brushes worn down but could also be the hi low pcb.

I opened it up hoping I would understand what people meant but being a novice I wasn't quite sure which wires to put where (when trying to bypass the hi-lo switch).

Anyone know of a youtube vid or a step-by-step guide?

The two white wires that go to the motor. They go to the on off switch one will be live the other neutral then discard the wires to the hi low switch and it don't matter which white wires just any one on live other neutral terminals.

I can also confirm the hi lo switch failed for me too.

Here is a picture of the writes after removing the pcb board:
[/img]

As said above the 2 white wires from the motor now connect to the on off switch.

Great work!

Can you put a photo of both sides of your pcb on here too please.

I believe something fundamentally simple is being missed which could get your hetty/henry back to 100% functionality!

Just wanted to say a big thank you, especially to treytrey, for all the help and advice on here. Combined with various videos on YouTube I have been able to strip down/diagnose/repair my Henry and feel well able to tackle any future problems.
In my case the symptom was the same as besty90 – “the light next to the hi/lo switch comes on but motor wont power up” and was caused by a faulty PCB. Personally I preferred the old Henry design where the HI/LO switch didn’t have a light.
Disappointed that a repair was need when Henry was just over 2 years old but so relieved I didn’t have to dump him and buy another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back