"Heritage Asset" definition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ..
i need to identify what exactly a heritage asset is. Obviously this includes listed buildings but can someone confirm if this includes all buildings that sit within a designated conservation area?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are two types of heritage asset; Designated and Undesignated. A listed building is an example of a designated heritage asset. A locally listed building is an example of an undesignated heritage asset.

This site is probably the best source of information about Heritage Assets.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/

The List
The National Heritage List for England (NHLE) is the only official and up-to-date database of all nationally designated heritage assets, including:

• Listed buildings
  • Scheduled monuments
  • Protected wreck sites
  • Registered parks and gardens
  • Registered battlefields
  • World Heritage Sites
  • Applications for Certificates of Immunity (COIs)
  • Current Building Preservation Notices (BPNs)
World Heritage Sites are recorded on the List, but these sites are inscribed separately by UNESCO.

Here you can search the list, or scroll down to find out more about amending or reviewing list entries and how to download data or view records for sites which aren't on the List.

Sponsored Links
There are two types of heritage asset; Designated and Undesignated. A listed building is an example of a designated heritage asset. A locally listed building is an example of an undesignated heritage asset.

Thanks Nakajo. I've just checked the local list on my local council website and my house is not in it. It is also not a nationally listed building. Even if it sits within a conservation area, does that mean it is not considered a "heritage asset" ?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Original Poster, are you having to put a heritage statement together because your property falls within a conservation area? It may benefit you to have a look through parts of the NPPF, and also to an extent PPS5 document (please be aware that the PPS5 policy was mainly superseeded by the NPPF, but still has some useful info)

Original Poster, are you having to put a heritage statement together because your property falls within a conservation area? It may benefit you to have a look through parts of the NPPF, and also to an extent PPS5 document (please be aware that the PPS5 policy was mainly superseeded by the NPPF, but still has some useful info)

I'm allowed to build a roof extension as long as my house isn't classed as a heritage asset. I'm therefore trying to establish whether my house is a heritage asset. It's not a listed building nor is it on the local list of non-designated heritage buildings. It is however in a conservation area. Hence my original question.
Thanks for helping

Although there's a glaring contradiction in the current GPDO, it is presently not possible to erect any form of roof extension under Class B on article 2(3) land. This includes Conservation Areas.

In any case, recent changes to legislation mean it can be a criminal offence (as opposed to a civil offence, as was the case previously) to undertake certain work in Conservation Areas without permission, so if there's any doubt then you really should speak to your LPA.

Although there's a glaring contradiction in the current GPDO, it is presently not possible to erect any form of roof extension under Class B on article 2(3) land. This includes Conservation Areas.

In any case, recent changes to legislation mean it can be a criminal offence (as opposed to a civil offence, as was the case previously) to undertake certain work in Conservation Areas without permission, so if there's any doubt then you really should speak to your LPA.

I'm not looking to use permitted development rights. Would definitely go through planning. My council seem to ignore any correspondence unless through a formal application .. All I'm trying to establish is whether my house is a heritage asset but this seems impossible. :/

I think we can conclude that it isn't. Either way, seems irrelevant. Just stick the (householder?) planning application in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back