HETAS Engineers a bunch of lying so and so's....

Do you think it's a fair price ? Probably worth waiting until summer to get it installed ? as it might work out cheaper..?[/quote]

Why? Do you imagine our overheads get smaller in the summer. HEATAS guys are rushed off with work, so that get good price is likely to get bigger, not smaller!

Anyway, why are you fitting a dirty wood burner? None of our "older" clients will consider such a thing, unless they are rural. They have been there and done that, and applauded the introduction of a cleaner safer method of room heating - ie a gas fire or stove that you can control.

Sponsored Links
The other issue here is one of interpersonal relations. If a sole or small trader is negotiating a job with a householder, he has to wonder if the job is likely to go well, and if so, is he likely to be paid on time. If there are quibbles up front, and particularly if a request is made to install only or work for cash-in-hand, this raises the anxiety level. I've walked away on such occasions, just as I did not spend my time responding to job requests when I was not looking for employees.

The bottom line price for a job is not the same as the hourly earning rate.

Hi all, managed my first winter without plagues, locusts any death of the firstborn son.

Just had chimney inspected and swept, with no comments about the standard of workmanship on install.

No one said anything about the quality of the work they just said about getting it signed off for building regs. Hope u get shafted when it comes to selling up just for being a arrogant tawt

Sponsored Links
Hi all, managed my first winter without plagues, locusts any death of the firstborn son.

Just had chimney inspected and swept, with no comments about the standard of workmanship on install.

By a chimney sweep presumably and not a registered hetas installer..........
so what does that prove to you ? that your install is safe ? how ?

Odd that you fitted it yourself but couldn't sweep it yourself, still lets hope you don't have a house fire because your insurance will be void when the insurers trying to wriggle out of the claim start asking questions about the installation...........which they will.

HETAS registered Sweep actually. And I could do it, but for 25 notes a chimney its not worth it, certainly not worth the cost of a decent set of brushes and a hoover attachment. Plus, cleaning seems to take far more skill than installing the thing! 25 quid, now I that I consider to be fair recompense for 1 hours work, and not daylight robbery like the installers were after.

As I said, no plagues of locusts, the lining is in an unlinedflue that was fine, so, unless brick, stone and mortar catch fire, I dare say we will be just fine.

Lots of idle threats about the "nasty man from the council", all in the aid of HETAS trade unionism.

No one said anything about the quality of the work they just said about getting it signed off for building regs. Hope u get shafted when it comes to selling up just for being a arrogant tawt

Nice! If it all goes pete tong and we sell, I will give the purchaser the option of me removing it. We arent going anywhere in the next 10-15 so by then may even need replacing! Might be able to find someone next time round that isnt a rip off merchant! And hate to point out, the WHOLE POINT of BC is to ensure quality of work and materials, not to be a self licking lolipop (which it is!)

interesting thread
as a registered tradesman ( spark) and as a person looking to get a stove installed ( currently doing the building work) i can see both sides to the debate
I was quoted £1200 to supply and fit liner plate and stove, its a bungalow and i must admit it did seem rather expensive. i have since had another quote and it was much less at £700 although it has been agreed i will drop the liner down and help with fitting the plate and shifting stuff etc..

I didn't bother in the end. 150 quid to get some jobsworth from building control to look at a register plate, see I have done a good job, and sign it off.

What a tight basta*rd and despite saving heavily on carrying out the installation yourself you still wouldn't pay to have it signed off. Your embarrassing

Latest figures re co deaths are pointing to solid fuel as the biggest killer percentage wise as there are far less solid fuel installations than gas.

You seem very self congratulatory that a sweep has not questioned your install. Fingers crossed that you don't have a house fire and find the insurers
wont pay out because you have an illegal install.

Latest figures re co deaths are pointing to solid fuel as the biggest killer percentage wise as there are far less solid fuel installations than gas.

You seem very self congratulatory that a sweep has not questioned your install. Fingers crossed that you don't have a house fire and find the insurers
wont pay out because you have an illegal install.

Ahh the union is back! I have already said its a compliant install, including required ventilation and CO detector. And if its regularly swept, what is the chance of a chimney fire? want to tell me how a well swept stainless flue can spontaneously combust?

Lets hope your smugness of having contravened all the building regs doesn't

return to bite you on the arse.

Who said the flue would catch fire ? ..........you. Not me.

Presumably you must light your stove with spontaneous combustion products, most other people have to use products where there is a chance of accidents.

So take this as an example..... any faults that may or may not be dangerous
:LOL:

point taken, we now store the wood in an alcove to the left of the hearth. to be fair, the wood was sopping and were trying to get to a level of dryness. We soon learned it wasnt a good idea to stack next to the stove and we no longer do this :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back