Hide the pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I go in homebase none of their kitchens have pipes showing everywhere. Well mine does and they have to go. Where are the pipes generally run with these units? The pipes underneath my worktops stick out so far the washing machine can't be pushed flush back against the wall and that definitely isn't on.

In my favour it looks like there is really thick bonding on the wall so I could probably chop it off and bury them (in plastic of course :D) in there, but I can only see the top of the wall right now, could be the bottom was made differently and I won't be able to go disemboweling the kitchen wall with me angle grinder.

Suppose I could fit a false drywall, but I don't like them as they're so flimsy... well all your suggestions and tips are as always received with humility and gratitude.

Sponsored Links
captain_obvious.jpg

I remember installing a back boiler and fire on a plain wall, the chimney was external.

The client was most peedoff because there was pipes up the wall.

You can't see the pipes in the showroom. :LOL: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
After destroying any chances of getting useful help with the comedy picture, what are the normal ways to hide the pipes in kitchens? I can think of only these:

Heavy bonding layer with plastic pipes in, exiting exactly where they need to.
False drywall with the same exit rules as above
Run along the top and back of work surface. I expect someone creative could make a "box" (which would more than likely be a slope) that looks nice.

Please add to list if you can.

Sorry about that, couldn't resist.

What type of floor is it :?:

Are you prepared to dismantle the kitchen to re route the pipes :?:

Sorry about that, couldn't resist.

What type of floor is it :?:

Are you prepared to dismantle the kitchen to re route the pipes :?:

Yes, it currently has quarry floor, I'm fully prepared to dig it all up and replace it with a slate/marble one on screed. I'm prepared to modify anything in the kitchen except the boiler, not sure what to do about that, will probably just cut work surface away from it then find a the rules or a qualified carpenter to construct a cupboard to hide at least the top half it's a total mess.

May put chrome snaps on the pipes going down through the work surface (which will being changed or resurfaced itself) they're not so bad.

I remember installing a back boiler and fire on a plain wall, the chimney was external.

The client was most peedoff because there was pipes up the wall.

You can't see the pipes in the showroom. :LOL: :rolleyes:

I'd an argument with a woman years ago over that one too. Baxi WM with the 3 pipes running up through her ceiling. She was pis sed because there were none showing on the pic in the brochure :LOL:

Mrbodge

As far as hiding the pipes go, most units have a space behind the back panel for the pipes. 22mm pipes will fit behind every appliance, even an integrated dishwasher. If the pipes do touch the appliance you could use the above rock to alter the back of the machine :LOL:
You could strap and sheet the walls if you don't mind (or have the space) loosing 2" or more from the kitchen. The problem with this comes if you have a door on the wall (the standards will have to be lined to suit). This is not usually necessary and is a last resort.
If you are stuck then maybe best speak to a plumber who will most likely alter and hide them no problem.

This is an old school setup, it's the work-tops with MDF cupboards underneath. They have a 10cm space to hide the pipes at the back, but the MDF cupboards are going so it doesn't matter.

As far as hiding the pipes go, most units have a space behind the back panel for the pipes. 22mm pipes will fit behind every appliance, even an integrated dishwasher.

Gotta have those integrated things these days. And get this. This is my mothers place I'm trying to do up for her. She has a washing machine that has always stuck out from underneath the work surface. I always thought it was just the way it was, but after this post I took a straight plank of wood and a set square down there and was able to push the washing machine flush underneath the surface easily, the only trouble which had been preventing it before was the filling and drain pipes curling around one another.

Personally I think it looks a little better not quite flush as the controls stick out in a small bevel and lining the work surface edge up with the bowl opening looks better.

It won't push flush right into the right hand corner of the room where it is, but I took a look behind there and if the plumber had used street elbows instead of bending the supply pipes it would have. I suspect he think it didn't matter since there is a boiler fume escape tube just after his pipes so it couldn't have gone much further right anyway.

If you are stuck then maybe best speak to a plumber who will most likely alter and hide them no problem.

Yeah but then I can't sit down with a nice cuppa and think "ahh, I did that".

And thanks for making me get off my lazy ass and look at it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back