Hiding TV power lead behind plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm wall mounting a TV in my new house and looking for some advise regarding hiding the power lead behind the wall.

In my old house I installed a spur to my wall mounted TV which was relatively easy as there was a mains ring socket just below the tv area.

However in my new house, the living room only has sockets at the corners of the room and none close to the TV (central to the room) so a fair bit more work installing a spurs. Therefore I was just planning on running an extension lead at floor level to the tv area and have the standard tv lead (plugged into the extension socket) enter the plasterboard wall through a brush entry point and exit at tv level. The house is was built in 2006 and I have already opened the wall (to install the HDMI cables) which I see is all filled with insulation. I was wondering if there any problems in doing this.

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit rough to have an extension lead trailing across the floor in such a new property.
The problem you will have is the safe zones - I'm not sure if a brush entry point counts as an accessory for defining a safe zone.

I think a brush plate at the top and bottom with a flex going into/coming out of would define a safe zone for me - even if it doesn't, you have to be particularly hard of thinking to drill into it when you can actually see both ends of the cable

Sponsored Links
If it's a suspended floor you may find the ring passed under where you need it so could take a feed quite easily. Likewise under the floor above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back