High earth fault loop readings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I recently invested in an all in one tester and a friend offered to let me try it out on his house. However, the earth fault loop readings for upstairs and downstairs sockets are outside the regs. Ze is OK, but this is what I got:

Downstairs sockets - Zs = 1.39 max, also R1 = 0.52, R2 = 0.80
Upstairs sockets - Zs = 1.3 max, and R1 = 0.45, R2 = 0.59

Now I thought that if 2.5 mm T and E was used, you could estimate R2 as being 1.67 x R1. The values I got were not (would have been 0.93 and 0.75 respectively).

So what do you think the problem is? The installation is only a year or so old. I'm thinking along the lines of:
1 Poor connection(s) in sockets?
2 Poorly laid cables giving higher resistance?

What should be the next step?

SB :confused:

Sponsored Links
Are you removing all paralell paths?

Is yor Ze about 1.05? If so what type of supply do you have

Sponsored Links
Thanks for getting back.

It's a TN-S supply and although I don't have an Ze value, I think it was OK coz the kitchen sockets tested out OK (about 0.5 Ohms for loop). I disconnected the main bonding (gas and water) before I did the test. I would have thought though that parallel paths would have reduced the loop value??

Any ideas gratefully received!

SB

If you can get your Zs values, you can also get your Ze. If you tell us what it is then I may be able help

pdcelec

I'll try and get over tomorrow to measure Ze.

Sorry, got a bit confused there about disconnecting the main bonding. (not the main earth - which would be very dangerous!). Just to clarify that I know my onions - you do not have to do this for earth loop measurement, but you do have to do it for measurement of Ze - to avoid parallel paths. Obviously reconnect straight after the test.

BTW surely we can work out Ze as Zs= Ze+R1+R2?
From the figures earlier:
For upstairs sockets this would be 0.03 ohms and for downstairs 0.26 ohms. :confused: Shouldn't they be the same (or at least very similar?) Me thinks therefore that there must be problems within the installation....

Oh, I see. But how come I got a reading of 0.5 ohms for Loop on the kitchen sockets? Surely all loop readings would have to be a minimum of 1.05 if this is the value of Ze?? Arrg - this is doing my head in!

Also, I notice that this Ze i(1.05) is outside the regs for the type of supply... Will confirm by measurement tomorrow

SB

The only sure way is to start from scratch and confirm the Ze reading with installation isolated, main earth attached and bonding disconnected. If this is satisfactory then confirm that the equipotential bonding is actually continuous, reconnect it and test Zs again on each circuit. Your upstairs and downstairs circuit continuity readings seem okay, so if, as suspected, you have a high Ze you need to contact your DNO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back