"High" Earth Loop Impedance on potential house pur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering moving house shortly. An electrical report supplied by the vendor (from 2009) has a note from the electrician saying something about the "Earth Loop Impedance" being too high (I think it said 0.58ohms). There are also copies of follow-up letters from the local distribution company (YEDL) indicating that this is "normal" due to the design of their network in that area.

The house is a fairly isolated 4 bed detached farmhouse style property (about half a mile from the nearest other houses) . It has a single-phase "PME" supply. My surveyor indicated that the main consumer unit is probably less than 5 years old. Other than the usual cooker, lighting, and socket circuits there appears to be a larger separate outdoing circuit from the consumer unit (via a single 60amp switch) to a smaller consumer unit in an annex.

Can anyone help with these questions:

1) Is this high reading anything I should worry about really and what are the day-to-day implications (if any)?

2) Is this issue likely to restrict anything electrical I would want to do with the property in future? For example:

a) install solar panels

b) fit a large heat-pump (max size that would work on single-phase supply)

c) install a power supply to a new external workshop

Thanks in advance,
Shaun.

Sponsored Links
While 0.58 might be 'too high' compared to the widely overused and assumed maximum of 0.35 for that type of supply, it certainly won't be causing any problems for a typical house.

For the items suggested:
a. Solar panels require a tiny little connection, since they will produce tiny little amounts of power and are generally a waste of money and resources.
b. Heat pumps are generally soft start now, so no issues there. Even if not, a single phase model won't be powerful enough to cause issues.
c. No problems with power to a workshop, unless it contains completely unnecessary and dangerous items such as an industrial sized Xray machine, a particle accelerator or a laser capable of burning through things , however that isn't too likely.

With regards to buying the property, it isn't an issue at all.

It may be a TT to PME conversion, in which case I know that UU round here have higher tolerances for the Ze than they do on "true" PME supplies.

Sponsored Links
That reading is nothing to worry about for such an isolated property.

The much quoted figure of 0.35 Ohms was only ever meant as a 'typical' value for 'average' properties - it is by no means a 'guaranteed' value and should never be taken as such.

I would be quite content with such a reading in a rural setting.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back