High gloss bathroom units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that high-gloss paint is prone to peeling from MDF units? Or at least more prone to it that standard gloss or matt...?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should've said that I am planning on buying the unit ready-made, not painting an old unit myself...

No not really, the most important factor would be to prime the mdf with a water based primer, you can if you wish purchase an mdf primer. When mdf is primed the edges tend to feather so you will need to sand or even fill those areas, then after light abrasion between coats it should be ready to accept both undercoat and gloss.

Dec

When you say ready made, do you also mean ready finished with a high-gloss coating as with kitchen units? :confused:

If so, then it is true that some high-gloss plastic type coatings can de-laminate if there is excessive steam/moisture in the bathroom.

If you are talking about an actual paint finish then there are usually no problems.

Sponsored Links
Well if the the units are prepainted, all you would need to do would be to lightly abrade the surface to remove any shine dust off and undercoat ready to apply your gloss. Don't go the waterbased way and always use an Alkyd based system.

Dec

Thanks for your reply. I'm not intending to paint them at all, I am buying one to use as it is. But I've heard a few people say this high-gloss is prone to peeling, so I didn't want to buy a unit that's going to be useless in a year's time and wondered whether I ought to buy a matt unit instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back