High Zdb low Zs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On this TT supply I have a measured Zdb (all parallel paths in place) of 154? and yet the measured Zs on the ring (using RCD setting on my Metrel) is consistently below 1?. Can anyone explain how that can be?[/wiki]

Sponsored Links
Something seems amiss there, probably the meter.
What's the R1+R2 value for the circuit? This added to your Zdb should be similar to the Zs figure you get when measuring at the furthest point.

I'd say you still have an appliance on the ring still connected when you do the Zs and it is providing a parallel path eg boiler (earth of boiler connected to water pipes, maybe main water pipe is metallic in ground so providing a path)

Sponsored Links
He has a Zdb reading of 154ohms with all equipotential bonding in place (assuming that's what he means by all parallel paths in place).

Daft as it sounds, you have made sure the CPCs of the ring are in the CPC rail of the CU? I'm thinking you may get low readings like this if they have accidentally been connected to the neutral rail.

RCD earth loop is less accurate, but i dont think its that inaccurate :confused:

Have you tried same tests using same meter on a circuit you know?
BoL
V

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back