Hinges on a metal frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I've been scratching my head with this for a while, and frankly not getting anywhere.

I had a metal (40mm box section) frame built for me, for sitting an aquarium on top of which looks like this:

frame2.jpg

I probably didnt think things through enough, and hence my issue of now struggling on how to mount the panels to the frame.

I have the panels cut to size, to be fitted as such (top down view):

topview.png

The side panels cover the edge of the front panels. If that makes sense.

The side panels are to be fixed. So no issue screwing an angle of some description into the frame and the board.

Its the front panels I'm struggling with. I wanted them hinged, and Im struggling to find a hinge that would work.

I basically need a hinge with a small footprint (to allow to be screwed into the 40mm box) but that would still allow me to open the doors at the front 90 degrees, without catching on the steel frame. Sorry - its very difficult to explain, but hopefully the pics will explain what I mean.

Just wondering if anyone could suggest a type of hinge that would do what I need it to - or, suggest something else for that matter, as I seem to be going around in circles looking at pictures of hinges that dont appear as if they will work.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Bigger range of hinges if you hinge off the panels instead of the box section.

Not sure if a rebate hinge would work or not, although its difficult just looking at pictures.

That being said, when i googled a rebate hinge, I found a flag hinge - these in particular:

http://www.lockmonster.co.uk/prod/avocet-3d-triad-flag-hinge-et3dbl.html#description

I wouldnt mind having a hinge on the outside provided it looked pretty decent, which those do.

Looks like I may end up with a bit of a gap between the sides and front panels though

Sponsored Links
Don't suppose those or other hinges you've researched would work better by having them fitted on the central bar instead of the outer 2?

Just trying to think outside of the box ;)

Don't suppose those or other hinges you've researched would work better by having them fitted on the central bar instead of the outer 2?

Just trying to think outside of the box ;)

Actually, I did consider this... last night! I never thought of doing it that way round before.

I only had a quick look, but it should work. The opening would be a bit wierd, but it would be better than it is currently, so may well go down this path.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back