Hinges on an exterior front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I've just bought my first flat, and I'm now coming to terms with the dreaded/fun task of looking at the doors and locks and security.

We're going to replace the front door (197mm height, 84mm wide, 45mm deep) with a wooden door which is roughly 27kg and use the existing wooden frame.

I've got my locks, I've got my new door, I've booked a carpenter to fit it all, my final (I think!) question is the hinges.

Which hinges should I be buying for a wooden door of the above specs? I'm trying to find the right hinges on the B&Q site and having exactly no joy... Also, is it worth getting security hinges?

Anything else I've obviously left out?

Thanks all
Jack

ps first post

Sponsored Links
security hinges are generally for outward-opening doors, which I guess yours aren't.

I am very pleased with lift -off hinges, which make it much easier to remove and refit thedoor, for example to repaint or to plane the edge.

IronmongeryDirect is a good source. They have satin stainless, or PVD brass on stainless, which I have found stays bright on an external door. Use stainless if you are having chrome door furniture, PVD brass if brass (they also sell letterboxes, handles, keyhole escutcheons etc). Get the chippy to fit your locks (should be BS3621)

You will need three hinges of four-inch or 100mm size, or thereabouts. Choose left-hand or right-hand according to the side your doorknob is on.

examples

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products?parameter=fh_refpath=c8d24707-f293-4790-bea8-9ca8f1ff7aa9&fh_refview=search&fh_reffacet=price&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/$s=lift\u0020hinges/price>5.0&fh_start_index=0

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?SearchText=bs3621

Eurocylinder locks are not as good.

If you have a nightlatch that can be opened without a key, place it as far as possible from the letterbox as there is a simple trick.

Does your door need to be fire-resisting?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply John!

Bit more info:
- Going for chrome furniture
- If you're facing the door from the outside the hinges are on the left and the doorhandle on the right

Based on that would it be a right handed, stainless steel, lift off hinge?

e.g. http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...inges/75/european_style_lift_off_hinge/137713

Is that suitable for an external door? If not, any suggestions?

Thanks John!

Those would do. But the 102x76mm with square (not round) ends are more usual in a home.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/hinges/door_hinges/6523013/lift_off_hinge/977415

I think mine are made by Eclipse which is a good brand but I believe they were taken over by an American company.

In the past I made a mistake with hinge handing so to avoid embarrassment I had better not say (so did Ironmongery direct, I emailed them a drawing and they told me the wrong hand). So now I keep a small stock of both (I have lots of doors).

Sponsored Links
Seems to be the hand you open the door with.
In this case it's left handed :)

Reading some places it says for a door 197cm tall we should do 3 hinges, others say 2. Any thoughts?

Nuts how on Ironmongery the hinges are more expensive (when you add tax and delivery...) is the quality that much higher?

Edit: No need for fire resistance on the door. Well... not a specific need.

your door is quite heavy. Three hinges are usual on a front door. Two are used on internal doors which are lighter. It also strengthens the door to resist kicking or barging by a burglar, and reduces the risk of warping. They are usually sold in pairs so you need two pairs.

IronmongeryDirect is I find better value than DIY suppliers, and good quality. If delivery costs on your order seem high, see if there is anything else (screws, plasplugs, doorknobs etc) that you will need for your new home.

You can get non-stainless hinges cheaper, but on a front door they may rust. If the door to your flat is indoors you could get zinc-plated which are a bit cheaper but will not look so good. Cheap indoor hinges are not as strong. Lift-off hinges have a thicker, stronger pin for rigidity.

Thanks John. I've gone ahead and bought the ones we've spoken about. Thank you!

Go for fire door hinges, £5 from screwfix for a pack of three. You don't need security hinges unless there's a high risk of people kicking in the front door, but the door lock and jamb will give way first before normal hinges do.

very good price, that one.

I like lift-offs because I find it very difficult to remove and rehang my heavy doors, but I suppose for many, not an issue.

It's really just a case of learning how to lift and pivot a door ona bar or board lifter, John. I don't know of any joiner who'd go for lift offs as opposed to ball bearing hinges because they couldn't hang them

yes, I have a lifter, but it's a job I do once in a blue moon, so I don't expect to get proficient. Not being very good, I have to trial-fit and take off to plane. Mine are all fire doors.

Not being very good, I have to trial-fit and take off to plane. Mine are all fire doors.
That's why you always try to give the guy who unstalled a door casing te job of installing the door in his own casing - then he can't complin about some sloppy clown having instlled the casing all wrong........ Seriuosly, though, getting a new door to fit into an existing opening can be royal PIA. We are just about top start trying to re-use 30-odd "heritage" doors in a refurb and I'm not looking forward to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back