Hit and Miss Vent - How to fix to walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have only recently bought a replacement vent for my baby's bedroom. The house is mid 1950s built and in the box room there is a vent already screwed into the wall. Its the only vent in the house.

When I bought the replacement vent I discovered there are no screw holes? I have tried to contact the seller but received very poor customer service. They can take my money but they are uncooperative in helping me fix it to the wall.
There are 4 "fixing points" at the back of the vent, does anyone know what tools or equipment I will need and an easy explanation on how to put this on the wall?

I was thinking of just giving up trying to find out what I need to put it up as there are no answers online, and just use no more nails, the glue but it is not very strong at all and says it takes 24-48hr to cure/stick. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys x

Sponsored Links

Attachments

• WP_20170101_12_04_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170101_12_04_17_Pro.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 633
  • WP_20170101_12_04_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170101_12_04_50_Pro.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 628
This is the back of the vent and front, the back has keyhole shaped slots but have no idea what I need and how I fix them? Is it the same as hanging a frame or mirror? I just cant understand the logic of it being similar to hanging a frame as there would be a gap inbetween the vent and the wall

Sponsored Links
One of these

ae235

http://www.screwfix.com/p/map-vent-adjustable-vent-white-152-x-229mm/7374d
the front cover slides and clicks off. The back part has a hole in each corner. You drill the wall where each hole will be, insert a plasplug, screw the back part to the wall, slide and click the front part on.

If the room becomes damp or you get condensation on the window, slide it open for ventilation. Babies can cope with any amount of fresh air.

p.s.

in your photo, it is upside down. The keyholes go on with the large hole at the bottom. This allows them to fit over and slide down the screwheads, if they project the right distance.

So is a plasplug a wall plug? We already have the wall plugs in there its just the screws, is there a different screw or nail you use? Thanks for your help I appreciate it xx

Yes wall plug with a screw in.
With the screws make sure the head is smaller than the large part of the keyhole and larger than the small part.
The important thing is getting then positioned exactly right, which can be tricky in an old wall.

you use a screw of convenient size. Needs to be more than an inch long so it will pass through the plaster into the brick. The screw size is defined as size of the hole x length.

So you might want 4mm x 33mm, which is plenty strong enough for such a light fitting (needlessly big in fact, but a useful size to keep round the house). If it was a shelf or a curtain rail you would need longer.

"BZP" means "bright zinc plated" meaning it will not rust unless it gets damp for an extended period

If the holes in the fitting are conical, you need countersunk screws, if flat, round-headed screws.

vf_countersunk.png

Countersunk

Roundhead

A hardware shop might sell you half a dozen in a plastic bag, for the same price as a hundred from a merchant.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-tite-pz-countersunk-screws-4-x-30mm-200-pack/35341

Thanks so much for your help guys
If in doubt, that the wall plugs are in different places would you ever use glue instead to stick it or plaster filler? Or is it only for temporary holds? If you do which ones would you use...? Just in case the wall plugs are put in wrong? Thanks

I wouldn't use plaster filler as it's brittle. If you're that way inclined, I'd clean all the loose material from the surface and put a load of no more nails or equivalent along the edges and stick it down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back