Hive 2 Dual Channel Wiring Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an existing WIFI controlled Hot Water and Heating. I thought I could directly replace the receiver with the Hive 2 Channel receiver. The issue I find is that the wiring on the old system has the heating demand and hot water demand as separate circuits independently wired from the live wire of the receiver. So on the old (Salus IT500) receiver I have:

Live
Neutral

Common Hot water
NO Hot Water

Common Heating
NO Heating.

I guess this is because the Salus as added after the original Drayton timer switches in the system (i.e. I still have timer switches that can switch off the power going to each of the 2 common wires.

So my question is how can I add the Hive 2 channel receiver into the system as it does not seem to have independent circuits for heating and hot water? I am guessing but I assume the Hive 2 switches the live 240 v between the NC and NO pins based on the commands from the thermostat or app? Is that correct?

Many thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
The Hive should replace both the drayton timeswitch and the salus controller.

From what you have described, someones added the salus unit in series with the timer so you effectively have two time controls. The Hive receiver will fit directly onto the drayton back plate so all you need to do is remove the salus and its wiring.

Great Thank you. Just to confirm the way the Hive works. When it switches on it makes the connection between the 240 v live and the NO terminal? Thanks again Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Again. That all worked for the heating and hot water (dual channel) - Thankyou!

Having a bit of trouble with the single channel receiver. I assumed it wired the same as dual. When set to heat the NO and 240v Live are connected. That doesn't seem to turn on the Honeywell zone valve. Do I need to put a jumper between common and 240v live?

Many thanks

Tony

The single channel receiver is different and as you say it does need a short wire link from the Live to the Common terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back