Hive 2 install Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. So I just took delivery of a Hive 2 with Hot Water and Heating. Picked it up reasonably cheap on the deals. Now I went for no installation as I thought I would give it a go myself. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

I have a Flexicom 30cx and a Salus RT500RF

Here are a few pics of how my system is currently wired

The 1st cable on the left is coming from the mains socket mounted on the wall
The middle cable is running to the boiler ( Black+ Red NO COM )
The 3rd cable is also running to the boiler

This is the Hive's Connection Plate

Sponsored Links
If you have the dual channel receiver you will have a problem connecting it to the existing wiring because it only supplies mains voltage switching signals.
You would need a "volts free" receiver like your existing Salus unit to switch the red and black wires together and fire up the heating.

Edit:

Fortunately it looks like the boiler will accept 230V controls connected to it's R terminal. So disconnect the wires in the 0V and 24V boiler terminals and it should work with a wire connecting terminal 4 of the Hive to the R connector in the boiler.

Of course the two mains leads also need to be transferred across to the Hive connectors N(blue) and L(brown).

Last edited:
So I should have bought the single channel receiver?

Sponsored Links
So I cant use the Hive at all or do I need to get the Single Channel receiver?

You need a single channel which will send 24 v to board rather than 240v from the dual and frying it.

Hive comes as single channel and dual channel. The hub and thermostat are the same but the receivers are different. You need the single channel receiver.

I've edited my original post as it looks like the boiler will accept 230V controls but you can't use the existing connections at the boiler.

So disconnect the wires in the 0V and 24V boiler terminals and it should work with a single wire connecting terminal 4 of the Hive to the R connector in the boiler.

Of course the two mains leads will also need to be transferred across to the Hive connectors N(blue) and L(brown).

So I need to remove the thin cable all together ( Red+ Black ) from the boiler

I dont have a wire I could use to connect terminal 4 on the hive to the R connector in the boiler.

What happens with the Earth cables in the Salus receiver do both of them just stay as they are in the small block?

I'm not certain the thin cable would be suitable for mains voltages so it should be removed completely. A length of twin flex of the sort used in light pendants would be OK for the new connection.

The two earths should be in good electrical contact with each other and firmly anchored together in the terminal provided in the hive backplate, assuming it's going on the wall in the same location as the old salus backplate.

So the Hive Plate will have

2 Brown Wires Going to L
2 Blue Wires Going to N
2 Earth Wires going to the terminal at the bottom right
And another single wire going from the R connector in the boiler to Terminal 4 on the Hive?

Well I did as mentioned in my previous post and it seems to be working

Kpatm, why the electrical cable thickness that would power the engine room on the new aircraft carrier

Dont know mate. Only bought the house a couple of months ago

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back