Hive heating wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.png
image.jpeg
Hi please help. I've just brought a hive heating controller and want to wire it to my baxi 105e boiler. I'm going to use a piece of 5 core flex , thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I have this same boiler, but have accidentally got the 'Heating and Hot water' version of Hive 2.

I'm hoping I can use it and simply ignore the hot water functions. My question is, how do I wire it, given that the backplate for the dual-channel Hive receiver doesn't have a Common terminal?

upload_2016-12-7_8-58-2.png

One option could be this:

upload_2016-12-7_9-2-58.png

However, that means that the rotary on/off switch on the front of the boiler will no longer have any effect.

Alternatively, I could do this:

upload_2016-12-7_9-5-38.png

That means that the rotary switch on the front of the boiler will still act as a master on/off, but of course it will cut the power to the Hive. Given that (a) I very rarely turn the switch off (I might do it once a year at the start of the summer when I've no intention to use the heating) and (b) the Hive receiver would cope with having it's power cut, just perhaps taking a couple of minutes to reconnect to the wireless network when powered up, this sounds like a viable option.

On balance, I prefer the second option, as I don't like the idea of losing the ability to switch the boiler off via the front panel.

All advice very much welcomed!

On a related note, when using the Hive with the correct single channel receiver, does all the hot water functionality get hidden from the thermostat UI, phone app, web site etc? I know someone that has a heating-only installation and noticed that their Hive thermostat still has two buttons on the top ('heating boost' and 'hot water boost'), despite the latter being redundant.

Thanks in advance,
Vicky.

Sponsored Links
Vicky - I don't think you can use that controller on a combi (least that's what I've been told).
What you can do is call them up and say you've had your boiler changed (sweet-talk em a bit) and need a combi contoller unit. they'll send you one out for free (they did with me - although no sweet-talk from me as this is what happened).
If they ask about registration, say you've only been using the thermo and unit, haven't registered to use the network functions. you can say i'll do that now and give them the number behind the silver scratch stuff.

Some combi boilers only have extra low voltage for the control circuit, if you shove mains voltage up it you could fry the boiler's main PCB.
I'd stick with the idea of getting the correct one for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back