Hive installation help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum so please be gentle. I'm normally pretty good at things like this however this has me stumped.

I have bought a hive smart heating system but I'm struggling to work out the wiring. I've googled for hours but haven't found an answer to what I'm looking for.

My current Honeywell thermostat has 4 wires going to it... Earth, brown, grey and black. I wired it up to the hive receiver as I thought it should go however nothing worked. From searching about I think I need a netural for the hive to power up.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to do?

I have attached a picture of the current Honeywell thermostat. The hive unit I am hoping to install is a SLR1

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170122_075824.jpg
    20170122_075824.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 189
Sponsored Links
Do you think I can just link from terminal 2 to the neutral connection on the hive receiver then?

Nothing lit up when I wired it previously and was not detected by either the controller or hub so I put the old manual thermostat back on so we don't freeze to death while I'm trying to find an answer

Last edited:
I am guessing from what you have written that the old thermostat does not actually have the neutral connected, that's why I pointed out it would work without one. You need to check if there is really a neutral. As to if you look where cable goes into boiler, or you use something like a meter or old desk lamp to test is up to you, I don't know your skill or what equipment you have.

If you have a programmer it may be wired back to that rather than boiler. It could be some one in the past did not know what they were doing, and many seem to think if it works it's OK.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. I am an audio visual engineer by trade however not a boiler or heating engineer so this is all new to me.

The boiler itself has a timer built in however is doesn't work very well at all.

I was hoping to replace the thermostat in my lounge with the hive receiver that will act as the thermostat as well as the timer etc.

I'll get my multimeter out and see what I've got as the wiring back to the boiler is all hiden and too deep inside to be able to see what's what.

Thanks again for your reply, I just wasn't sure if I could bridge across to get the netural from elsewhere

Hi Jacko84

Welcome to the forum.

You have also posted this same question in Home Automation and as a result, now have two threads going on the same subject. I have posted there for you details of what wires need to go where.

Can I suggest that you check out the forum rules for future reference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back