Hive question with a difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking for some help. Sorry its another hive question but mine is a bit different.

Had an old timer that I replaced with the dual channel Hive 2. Swapped all the wires over & everything works the way my old timer did. The thing that makes my question different is that although my conventional boiler (pumped CH, gravity HW) has a room stat & pump for the heating these were never wired through the old timer so I was hoping someone could tell me how to do this.

At the moment the Hive works as a programmer to turn the boiler on & off but it's still the old thermostat in the hall that controls the temperature of the house. The only way to make sure the heating doesn't come on when the hot water is on is to use the off switch on the side of the old room stat or turn it right down, this is how it's always been.

The Hive has L, N & E from both the fused spur & boiler but the wires that I'm presuming are from the pump & the thermostat are joined together with a terminal block and tucked in the fused spur.

Does it sound possible to connect up these extra wires to finally have proper control of the heating? If it is, could someone point me in the right direction regarding wiring it properly if I give details of the wiring I have.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
RTFM... It has a lovely typeface and really nice colours that show just how easy peasy it all is... soft focus photos of attractive women and werther's original old folk enjoying the simplicity of life with a smart stat :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes it's possible, you just need to go next the pump live into the CH on wiring from the hive receiver.
Where's your hive stat? That should be roughly where the old stat was.

If you're still stuck, post some pictures of the various wiring locations and someone will help you sort it out.

Thanks. I'm not at home right now to get photos of it but I can try explaining what wires I have if that helps.
I have 2 cables coming out of the boiler. The first is the one that turns the boiler/hw on which is already wired up and working. The other cable (which I think must be the ch pump) has blue, brown & green, these wires are connected with a terminal block to the wires that I presume are from the old thermostat & tucked inside the fused spur, blue to black, brown to red, green to green. At the old sunvic thermostat only the red & black wires are connected, red to L, black to H, the green wire has been snipped off. I don't have a cylinder stat or any valves. It's the wires in the terminal block that I'm not sure what to do with. All I know is that I need something connected to number 4 (ch on) on the hive back plate.
At the moment the hive stat is in the living room but will be put where the old stat is once it's removed.
Hopefully I've explained that clearly enough for someone to help but if not I can post photos tomorrow when I'm home.

Thanks

Realistically the pump needs wiring direct to the hive receiver. CH on to pump live, N-N and E-E then you can discard the room stat wiring.

Dont forget to put Hive in gravity mode, it explains how to in the instruction manual that comes with the thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back