Hive System Incorrect Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
5:11 pm
Have thanks: 0 time Delete postReport this postEdit postReply with quote

Hi there, I'm hoping might be able to answer a little problem we have. We had a BG Engineer out yesterday who replaced our MyHome system with the new Hive system, but it seems he has wired the Receiver incorrectly. I've phoned to book another appointment but they can't come out for 10 days. I'm quite happy to re-wire it myself (obviously with the elecs off etc), but I wanted to get some clarification of which wire I need to move. The situation is this:

The demand call for the CH from either the thermostat or from the override on the Receiver is not switching the CH on. It does nothing. However the call for the Hot Water (either from the thermostat or from the override on the Receiver) DOES switch the CH on. (N.B The wiring isn't actually there at all for the Hot Water to be activated from the Receiver but we don't need it in any case as we operate the HW from a timer anyway).

I have the Wiring instructions for the Hive system but I'm unclear which I need to swap to where. My guess is the grey bridging wire is incorrect.

I've attached a photo of the current install and a photo of the Hive wiring instructions for Single Channel.

Just to clarify, we have a Honeywell Programmable timer where we leave the CH on continuous therefore enabling us to control it via the Hive system. The HW also runs from the same Honeywell timer and is set on a timer. There are no cables relating to call for HW going to the Hive Receiver so we're not looking to use the Hive system to control our HW.

Any advice would be appreciated, as currently we have to manually switch the heating on and off and have no thermostat control either :-/

David[/img]

Sponsored Links
The Hive system is a complete waste of money, why didn't you fit this?
https://www.inspirehomeautomation.co.uk

Much, much cheaper, works a treat & if you use a good installer that knows his onions & not one of BG's 'cowboys in polo shirts' you'd have a system that works!

The views I express on any company are my own personal views & are written without prejudice. These are based on my 40 years experience in the trade.

5:11 pm
Have thanks: 0 time Delete postReport this postEdit postReply with quote

Hi there, I'm hoping might be able to answer a little problem we have. We had a BG Engineer out yesterday who replaced our MyHome system with the new Hive system, but it seems he has wired the Receiver incorrectly. I've phoned to book another appointment but they can't come out for 10 days. I'm quite happy to re-wire it myself (obviously with the elecs off etc), but I wanted to get some clarification of which wire I need to move. The situation is this:

The demand call for the CH from either the thermostat or from the override on the Receiver is not switching the CH on. It does nothing. However the call for the Hot Water (either from the thermostat or from the override on the Receiver) DOES switch the CH on. (N.B The wiring isn't actually there at all for the Hot Water to be activated from the Receiver but we don't need it in any case as we operate the HW from a timer anyway).

I have the Wiring instructions for the Hive system but I'm unclear which I need to swap to where. My guess is the grey bridging wire is incorrect.

I've attached a photo of the current install and a photo of the Hive wiring instructions for Single Channel.

Just to clarify, we have a Honeywell Programmable timer where we leave the CH on continuous therefore enabling us to control it via the Hive system. The HW also runs from the same Honeywell timer and is set on a timer. There are no cables relating to call for HW going to the Hive Receiver so we're not looking to use the Hive system to control our HW.

Any advice would be appreciated, as currently we have to manually switch the heating on and off and have no thermostat control either :-/

David[/img]

Has your original room stat been linked out? Edit I see you mention room stat at the end?

You don't have one? Is it 2 or 3 port control?

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear - on my last sentence what I mean was whilst the system isn't working properly we currently have to turn the heating on and off manually and our room stat (or thermostat whichever is the correct term) won't control the temperature either so we can't leave the heating on whilst we're out etc as it will just stay on. The room stat is the one that came with the Hive system

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry I wasn't clear - on my last sentence what I mean was whilst the system isn't working properly we currently have to turn the heating on and off manually and our room stat (or thermostat whichever is the correct term) won't control the temperature either so we can't leave the heating on whilst we're out etc as it will just stay on. The room stat is the one that came with the Hive system

Either me being thick or not. What setup did you have and now have? Where is that black CH on going to? Why a 10 day wait for BG?

Thanks for the reply. The previous system was the British Gas MyHome system which is the previous version of The Hive and did the same thing (reason we had it changed as the software on it wasn't brilliant and they offered to upgrade it for us). It would work in the same way as this one should so I'm confident all the required wiring is there. The black wire goes to the motorised valve for the CH.

Thanks for the reply. The previous system was the British Gas MyHome system which is the previous version of The Hive and did the same thing (reason we had it changed as the software on it wasn't brilliant and they offered to upgrade it for us). It would work in the same way as this one should so I'm confident all the required wiring is there. The black wire goes to the motorised valve for the CH.

What's Myhome? Never heard of it? Is that an existing back plate from receiver?

You might have a valve fault rather than the hive. Have to test if valve motor is getting power when hive demands.

No the valve is working fine as the CH is working ok it's just that it only works when we ask for the HW to come on. It's definitely something to do with the wiring on the backplate - which I believe is a new one fitted yesterday with the Hive system.
Cheers

You should have a twin channel receiver. The one you have is for a combi boiler. The Hive will replace your Honeywell timer so you can control your heating and hot water via the app or online. (the only thing you can't control is the HW temperature)

10 days? Ring back and politely ask for them to send someone back.

Scatman has the answer and tell BG you have no heating - they only tell you 10 days to spread the workload out.

Richardthe3rd

Much, much cheaper, works a treat & if you use a good installer that knows his onions & not one of BG's 'cowboys in polo shirts' you'd have a system that works!

The views I express on any company are my own personal views & are written without prejudice. These are based on my 40 years experience in the trade.

I was about to pull you up on your useless post but ive just realised who you are and i'll be wasting my time :rolleyes:
OP - Dickie boy is a frustrated BG voyeur.

The wires are in correct, 3 is the ch demand terminal. If your old remote heating control worked fine then this should too. If there is the correct wiring in clock ie the heating works independent without the need for a hot water demand the hive can replace the whole timer, also it may be a fault elsewhere 3 port valve may not be switching over to heating only once cylinder sat satisfies making it look like hive isn't doing its job. Thats also the backplate from old rhc but is the same as new one but new one is white.

How is inspire a lot cheaper than hive ? Or has a inspire jumped in price?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back