Hole for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am fitting some 85mm downlights, but the holesaw i have is 89mm. The downlights have a lip of about 10mm.

1) Does the holes have to be exact
2) what difference will 4mm make

cheers!!

Sponsored Links
Yoy can get hole saws of any size.......but if you want to make do - try it on an off cut of plaster board or thick cardboard or something first. 4mm shouldn't make too mush odds - 2mm either side.

1) They should be as close as possible

2) Possibly nothing, possibly draughts, possibly dust falling out, possibly the lights falling out.

What do the instructions say? Maybe you need a slightly bigger hole to allow the clips to pass through.

Why not get a bit of scrap plasterboard and see how well it works?

Cheers guys, i tried it on some hardboard and it works perfectly. Another question though. Does the 2mm gap affect the acoustic and fire rating of the fixture.

Sponsored Links
It just amazes me how many people fit firehoods with (clearly) no idea whatsoever about if/why/when they are needed..

gingervit said:
of course you have remembered to install fire hoods too???
Why would you do that? Is this a flat?

[Edit - oh, sorry - just noticed that b-a-s had this covered]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back