Holes starting in screeded floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just noticed today little pitted holes in my screed floor it's been down 7 weeks and no flooring put on top yet , I put my finger in one and what looked like yellow sand came out ,I then noticed smaller digs in the floor else where .is this normal thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 449
Sponsored Links
no not normal, did they mix the screed themselves, can you post a more general picture of the floor as a whole

Will try and get a clear pic , if it's wrong I'm doomed because the job has been signed off by building control and project manager is emigrating so doubt he would get the floor bloke back now .

Yes they mixed it ,I'm so worried it's wrong ,it's taken 7 weeks for this to happen .

Sponsored Links
Just because the job was signed was signed off, doesn't mean you don't have a claim for poor workmanship. The screed hasn't been mixed properly. Start ringing whoever was in charge.

Pics

Attachments

• 20160225_210402.jpg
    20160225_210402.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 20160225_210412.jpg
    20160225_210412.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 20160225_210340.jpg
    20160225_210340.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 363
He's off to Canada in 2 weeks .and he gets a strop whenever we mention problems it's been pretty poor all along .and stressful.does this mean the floor is no good it was hand mixed

to be honest it looks generally OK but without close inspection it's hard to say, are those bits just afew isolated pockets or is it like that all over

It may be a case of going over the floor on your hand and knees,and tapping the floor with a light hammer, and check for the difference in sound. If you're lucky, there's only isolated areas that aren't going to compromise the overall strength of the floor. A bit of patching with a small amount of cement and sharp sand may handle the problems.

And once you've got a better idea of whether the problems serious or not, then if the buggers stroppy, just face him down, and get the floor guys details.

Thankyou both .it is a few spots maybe 4 on one side 2 on other .never seen them until now which is strange .I had to chip some away in a corner as it was laid too high .that was solid but a bit softer underneath in places .seems he didon't mix it well .what's the worst that can happen if I were to patch it and then lay flooring .will it wear away

it will be softer underneath it will take time to cure, what sort of flooring are you thinking of, a few holes that size won't matter if that is the full extent

It has random small holes in different parts about size of a 10 p or smaller .some feel solid after I hoovered the sand out but others it's just sand .with a screwdriver should I be able to make a hole .as I can . We are putting lamminate down with the silver underlay .does it mean the whole floor could be weak .will it wear away or crumble if we put floor down .someone has mentioned re screed the holes and then a strengthener then latex .but without knowing if all the layers are crumbly I'm not sure it's worth it .thanks

I can make holes with a screwdriver ..is that normal . Not sure if I can just fill holes as they are small .or because I can make holes that it all needs to come up .

It should have cured by now, but the sandy holes indicate that it hasn't been mixed properly. Although the holes are annoying, the main question, is how strong the screed is on an overall basis - hence tap it to see if it sounds hollow, solid, or you find more holes. Can you use a screwdriver on the areas where it seems solid.

If it's basically solid, then filling the holes, and putting down a laminate floor should be fine. But if it's more serious than a poor mix, ie not enough concrete used, then you'll need to take it up, and redo it.

Could you afford to add a few more inches to the height of the floor though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back