Holiday Inn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stayed in the Holiday Inn in Birmingham, I wonder how many of the 630 room have sockets so close the a work surface as to be no use and I suspect not compliant to the regs
socket.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Which particular regulation ?
The regulation that states, if socket outlets are not installed in a position that prevents stress/damage to flex and plug of the appliance, then stay at Travel Lodge and avoid staying in Birmingham if reasonably practicable!

Otherwise known as "the common sense" regulation

"And what statutory obligation am I failing to comply with" gets you out of lots of "you can't do it that way" type arguments

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you are thinking of the building regulation which states sockets should be 150mm from the worktop.

Perhaps you are thinking of the building regulation which states sockets should be 150mm from the worktop.
I believe that is guidance on the Building Regs, as opposed to the actual Building Regulations.

Nonetheless, BS7671 does require that socket outlets are positioned so as not to damage the flex. It does not stipulate what height would be required, but it would be hard to argue that it was sensible to have them so close. So depending on the severity of it I would code it as a non-compliance during periodic inspection and testing.

I believe that is guidance on the Building Regs, as opposed to the actual Building Regulations.

Nonetheless, BS7671 does require that socket outlets are positioned so as not to damage the flex. It does not stipulate what height would be required, but it would be hard to argue that it was sensible to have them so close. So depending on the severity of it I would code it as a non-compliance during periodic inspection and testing.

Hi. C3 then?

Depends on the severity. I have not inspected the installation in question so it is not for me to decide.

Sure, but from the photo it appears that most corded appliances could be plugged in, albeit with the flex on a tight radius, and some devices (the pre-made things with adapters, transformers etc may not fit at all).

So, would fitting it upside down solve it? Though some wall warts have their leads coming out of the top so perhaps not.

So, would fitting it upside down solve it? Though some wall warts have their leads coming out of the top so perhaps not.

although you do see sockets upside down sometimes inside wardrobes!

General opinion is that it's a poor installation. Common sense would have dictated that they are too near the worktop.

General opinion is that it's a poor installation. Common sense would have dictated that they are too near the worktop.
I wonder whether that 'upstand' on which the socket is mounted part of the desk/dressing table/whatever - or was it (and the socket) perhaps there before the bit of furniture appeared? I'm not saying that (if one wants an 'ideal' situation) that would necessarily be an excuse for leaving the socket where it is, but it could be an 'explanation'.

I'm pretty sure I've seen very similar arrangements in many a hotel (and, indeed, a good few kitchens!!).

Kind Regards, John

Hotel rooms are commonly designed and installed by idiots (and not just wrt the electrics).

john4703 - simple solution - just unscrew the socket and leave a note saying that you had no choice because of the way it had been installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back