Home insurance claim question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ALL

I have put in a home insurance claim 1st in 10+ years

I had water pipe leak behind shower wall that's has come through the lounge ceiling and took some artex off, and the tiles in the shower are now loose, I think the ceiling plasterboard must have expanded with the water and the walls plasterboard have expanded loosening the tiles, has anybody any experience of how through the insurance assessor will be when they inspect the damage, I think it needs the plasterboards replacing in the ensuite walls and ceiling, I want it doing properly and expect rightly or wrongly that the insurance will try to do it on the cheap. anybody any experience.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My experience is that if you are totally honest with the insurance company they will pay the claim without any quibble.

After a small but what turned out to be a long standing but hidden water leak in my kitchen my insurance company couldn't have been more thorough. They replaced 20 sq meters of laminate flooring,all kick boards and a double size base unit. The latter which looked ok to me. All this after drying out the kitchen first with an industrial dehumidifier.They even paid for the electricity used by the dehumidifier.

My experience was exactly the same as those of Mr Green and Mr Honda.

We had a leak from the loft when the capped end of an old lead pipe blew off, possibly due to the water board (sorry, I live in the past) suddenly turning on the water main after having been doing some remedial work.
We were out at the time. When we arrived home, my wife came in first and nearly had kittens (or even kangaroos, the way she was jumping up and down). The living room was like an enormous shower with water pouring in from the ceiling. When I looked in the loft, its floor was like a swimming pool.
Everything in the room, and parts of the next room, were completely ruined.

The loss adjuster came very quickly, had a good look, and immediately told us that we could replace everything: furniture, TV and other electricals, carpet, the lot. The wallpaper and decorations would be replaced and even the ceiling and coving would be pulled down and replaced, all paid for under our insurance.

All of this, of course, had to wait for two or three weeks of several dehumidifiers blasting away, supplied by them, and they asked us to estimate the extra electricity used by them by comparing last year's bills.

We thought that this was excellent service. I suppose, though, that it really depends upon your insurance company; there are good and bad like anything else.

Sponsored Links
Thanks , its not a big claim in relation to yours but i think more damage is hidden than what can be seen i hope they are fair thats all i ask, i wasn't going to claim until i saw tiles loose and can see all tiles having to come off, i didn't claim for repair as i stood to that myself a the beginning as i didn't expect them to pay for repairs but the damage hope so as I'm not very handy

Have you chaps worked out the cost of paying for insurance over the life of the policy versus the cost of putting the work right yourself ?

Have you chaps worked out the cost of paying for insurance over the life of the policy versus the cost of putting the work right yourself ?
Yes, I did once.
I estimated that if my house burned down, I would be a complete f***ing idiot not to have insurance.

There's a lot to be said for having home insurance and the peace of mind that comes with it.

Yes, I did once.
I estimated that if my house burned down, I would be a complete f***ing idiot not to have insurance.

Dream customer
There's a lot to be said for having home insurance and the peace of mind that comes with it.

Not everyone is a winner though are they ?

In a sense, home insurance is a gamble.
If you don't have it and your lucky enough never to have a fire, a flood, subsidence, burglary or even an aeroplane crash-land on your house you could save many thousands of pounds over your lifetime.

Well, punk, do you feel lucky? :LOL:

In a sense, home insurance is a gamble.
If you don't have it and your lucky enough never to have a fire, a flood, subsidence, burglary or even an aeroplane crash-land on your house you could save many thousands of pounds over your lifetime.

Well, punk, do you feel lucky? :LOL:

Building yes, contents is utterly worthless to me personally.

I worked out it's cheaper to set aside what it would cost in monthly direct debit for contents insurance, in the event of a theft I'd cover the cost myself.

This way if there is no loss I get to keep the lump sum I've already put away :D, it doesn't go to an insurance company.

Building insurance on a property I own with two tenants inside was an utter scam, couldn't get it cheaper than £300, one company wanted over £500. The rebuild cost can't be been more than £100,000, stone cob walls etc etc. W@nkers

Building yes, contents is utterly worthless to me personally.

I worked out it's cheaper to set aside what it would cost in monthly direct debit for contents insurance, in the event of a theft I'd cover the cost myself.
Good point.

Sponsored Links
Back