Home insurance claim question

Well it's a fear industry like damp and asbestos
Ridiculous analogy.

I worked out it's cheaper to set aside what it would cost in monthly direct debit for contents insurance, in the event of a theft I'd cover the cost myself.

This way if there is no loss I get to keep the lump sum I've already put away :D, it doesn't go to an insurance company.
£10 a month?

Do you sit on a soap box, watching the scenery and listen to birsong?

Then pay, what works for you works for you

I do, and it does.

But, frankly, you started it. If you really only have a couple of rands worth of contents, then you are probably right not to be bothered. But if my house wuse went on fire, the £120 pa would seem small beer

My personal gripe is the twonks who go abroad with no insurance or lie on the application, then have their friends and family organise appeals when they are locked in hospital with no means to pay.

Fair comment.

Sponsored Links
And what was the actual value of goods lost ?

Still not getting it?

You are not making any argument that is unique or new, everyone taking out insurance knows the game.

Most people would rather pay £10 a month, than risk fire/flood/burglary when they don't have 10k sitting in the bank to pay for any potential damages.

Yea, I could save that £10 a month instead and gamble that I won't need to claim for fire/flood/burglary before I can acre the savings. But most people would rather avoid a low chance but high risk gamble and pay a tenner a month for insurance.

I seriously doubt you have only a few grands worth of goods, or you have several thousand pounds in savings that you can stand to loose, if so then congratulations that you are not the type of person that needs insurance.

But don't play the clever boy, you just look silly.

I was wondering why you disappeared once I logged in and checked my block list and you were the only one on there, so I've unblocked you.

In answer to your question, no, I'm not getting it.

To take your example, £10 is not a price people would pay for building/contents, including cover for the excessive and unrealistic events such as flood/fire added on top, I would expect you pay a much higher premium for all these gimmickries

Check your policy and report back to me.

I'll ignore the acerbities for now.

My wife had to jump through hoops to prove the worth, provenance and authenticity of the items lost. However, my wife is one diligent women and she had pictures (of her actually wearing the stuff) receipts, records etc.
She was offered full value in vouchers to spend at various jewellers or a percentage in hard cash. She took the cash. There were children's electronic goods stolen as well as damage to the house which was all picked up by the insurers.
We could have inflated our claim in order to take up any shortfall that the insurers were bound to wriggle out of but we didn't.
All in all a lousy experience but one made a lot easier by paying a measly tenner per month. You would need to be a complete idiot not to have insurance and there are many out there that regret not having it. Sure, it is a risk industry, but a sensible and calculated one. Hardly worth even fussing over. No brainer.

My wife had to jump through hoops to prove the worth, provenance and authenticity of the items lost. However, my wife is one diligent women and she had pictures (of her actually wearing the stuff) receipts, records etc.
She was offered full value in vouchers to spend at various jewellers or a percentage in hard cash. She took the cash. There were children's electronic goods stolen as well as damage to the house which was all picked up by the insurers.
We could have inflated our claim in order to take up any shortfall that the insurers were bound to wriggle out of but we didn't.
All in all a lousy experience but one made a lot easier by paying a measly tenner per month. You would need to be a complete idiot not to have insurance and there are many out there that regret not having it. Sure, it is a risk industry, but a sensible and calculated one. Hardly worth even fussing over. No brainer.

So you did get back a percentage of what the items originally cost.

You had to go through the trouble and trauma of fighting for it..

and every year that goes by without a claim you pay them back their money,

I'm betting they put the cost of insurance up right after you claimed as well.

See for me, it's a waste of time. I'd sooner put away £50 a month, £600 a year, to cover the cost of a tool that's lost or a computer that's nicked...

If it doesn't happen I'll use it on a holiday.

No brainer.

Sponsored Links
See for me, it's a waste of time. I'd sooner put away £50 a month, £600 a year, to cover the cost of a tool that's lost or a computer that's nicked....
Yet another pointless comparison.

We forked out less than £1500 in insurance and recouped our losses to the tune of £7k.

You talk about saving £50 per moth when insurance will cost a fifth of that in any case.

Any more pointless posts you can fluff up the forum with?

I was digging in the garden and hit a gas pipe. I have insurance covering this and phoned them. The automated message said in the event of a gas leak to call the gas provider emmediately and contact them back within 48hours. The gas company came and repaired and said they would charge. Phoned the insurance Co back who said, sorry, if it's not repaired by one of their contractors they wouldn't pay out...shocking.
That sounds pretty clear cut.
Did you consider taking them to court?

including cover for the excessive and unrealistic events such as flood/fire added on top

Wut?

Its pretty standard, you could at least check out what insurance covers before saying how it is useless....

See for me, it's a waste of time. I'd sooner put away £50 a month, £600 a year, to cover the cost of a tool that's lost or a computer that's nicked...

You talk about saving £50 per moth when insurance will cost a fifth of that in any case.

Any more pointless posts you can fluff up the forum with?

My experience is that if you are totally honest with the insurance company they will pay the claim without any quibble.

I was digging in the garden and hit a gas pipe. I have insurance covering this and phoned them. The automated message said in the event of a gas leak to call the gas provider emmediately and contact them back within 48hours. The gas company came and repaired and said they would charge. Phoned the insurance Co back who said, sorry, if it's not repaired by one of their contractors they wouldn't pay out...shocking.

Did you check the policy? The probem is sometime that an operator will give an answer that makes sense to them. I once had to phone and argue several times over the word "property". The call handler insisted this meant "buildings" (since when did we start to live in properties rather than houses? - a vocabularial pet hate of mine of mine) -I insisted it could meant a laptop computer (long story). Eventually I asked them to point out the clause upon which they are relying. won.

Anyway AFAIK the only people who can call out and repair a mains gas pipe is National Grid or the ESP or THIER contractors. If it was not too long ago, call them an ask them to check the policy. Ask to speak to a manager, and explain the case without raising a voice. Assuming, of course, that the policy does in fact cover such an event

Last edited:
Good God! This is becoming contagious.
First a 'moth' and now a 'probem' and a 'caluse'!

Sorry, I'll stop now. :giggle:

Good God! This is becoming contagious.
First a 'moth' and now a 'probem' and a 'caluse'!

Sorry, I'll stop now. :giggle:
Dunno what you mean;). But how the heck do you spell THIER ? Either way looks wrong:(

In a sense, home insurance is a gamble.
If you don't have it and your lucky enough never to have a fire, a flood, subsidence, burglary or even an aeroplane crash-land on your house you could save many thousands of pounds over your lifetime.

Well, punk, do you feel lucky? :LOL:

Building yes, contents is utterly worthless to me personally.

I worked out it's cheaper to set aside what it would cost in monthly direct debit for contents insurance, in the event of a theft I'd cover the cost myself.

This way if there is no loss I get to keep the lump sum I've already put away :D, it doesn't go to an insurance company.

Im certainly not saying you are wrong here as what works for one may not for another but my first though (which will probably open up a can of worms) is what happens if you need financial assistance at some point in the future, ie, loose you job, developed a disability, need to pay for care etc all of which you wouldn't be eligible for government assistance as that lump some you have put away specifically to be used by way of an insurance now becomes an asset in the eyes of the powers that be. So, the result is, you can either pay it to the insurance company monthly or yearly and be protected by insurance or should the worst happen, pay it to the government.

I know there's a lot of variables and what if's in there but you never know what's around the corner

Sponsored Links
Back